Position: Data and Insights Advisor
Employer: Aga Khan Foundation Canada
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
Deadline: August 31, 2023
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: August 31, 2023
Data and Insights Advisor
Host Agency: Aga Khan Foundation Pakistan
Placement: Islamabad, Pakistan
Duration: 8 Months
About AKF Canada
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is a leading global development organization and
registered charity working to tackle the root causes of poverty. Since 1980, we have helped
create strong community institutions that support sustainable, locally-driven initiatives to
improve the lives of millions of people in Africa and Asia. By combining local knowledge with
global best practices, we strive to bring about transformative and long-lasting improvements to
quality of life. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of
global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key
objectives and approaches.
Working alongside the agencies of the Aga Khan Development Network and through
partnerships with local communities, civil society, and business as well as governments and
international aid agencies, we are building a future where we all thrive together.
About AKF Pakistan
In Pakistan, AKF, alongside the Aga Khan Rural Support Programme, leads a range of
integrated, innovative and gender-sensitive interventions in agriculture and food security, civil
society, climate resilience, early childhood development, education, health and nutrition and
work and enterprise in Gilgit-Baltistan and Chitral. In addition, AKF often plays a convening,
partnership development, policy dialogue and resource mobilisation role for the Aga Khan
Development Network (AKDN) and its agencies in Pakistan.
AKF’s Global Programme Team (GPT) provides leadership for AKF’s global programme
portfolio. Distributed across 13 countries, members of the team lead the overall strategic
programme direction, provide ongoing technical assistance to field-based teams, lead
programme design, support resource mobilisation, nurture and sustain partnerships within
AKDN and with key institutions, mainstream gender equality in programme design and
delivery, foster innovation and ensure programme quality, amongst other responsibilities. The
Data and Insights team within the GPT provides global support to generate and utilize
meaningful data about our programming.
Data plays a key role in improving AKF’s impact. Improving standardisation, quality, and
consistency of the programme data AKF collects, and the systems through which this data is
managed, and the practices used to analyse the data is a high priority. The consultant will thus
help build the long-term institutional capacity of AKF to collect, manage, analyze, and utilize
programme data – contributing to AKF’s ability to work as a data-driven organisation and
improve programming for the communities it serves.
▪ Support the design and roll-out of an integrated programme data architecture pilot that
focuses on standardising and centralising the data that is collected, managed, stored,
analysed, and used in Pakistan, with potential to support other AKF countries.
▪ Review existing data collection tools and identify opportunities for standardization of
fields and refining of questions.
▪ Develop a library of digitized survey tools in a shared data collection platform (e.g.,
▪ Support country units to develop dashboards in Microsoft Power BI.
▪ Support the preparation of learning sessions targeting the Results and Learning
Community of Practice.
▪ Facilitate trainings on digital platforms such as Power BI, ONA, Kobo, and Salesforce to
build the data capacity of AKF Country Offices.
▪ Draft Insights for Action stories that celebrate the use of data for decision-making in
▪ As appropriate, the CADEX participant will have the opportunity to supervise short term
interns and volunteers.
▪ Support data architecture pilot with Aga Khan Rural Support Program (AKRSP)
▪ Support in designing and rolling out Data Quality Assessments (DQAs) at AKF and
implementing agency level.
Required Qualifications & Experience
▪ Degree in international development, development studies, social sciences, data science,
data analytics or other related fields.
▪ Experience with project/programme-related data collection, data management,
monitoring and evaluation, and analysis is highly desirable.
▪ Experience and/or understanding of digital data collection platforms (e.g., Kobo, ONA
Data, Microsoft Forms).
▪ Experience with data analytics platforms such as Microsoft Power BI is highly desirable.
▪ Familiarity with Microsoft applications, including Word, Outlook, OneDrive, Power
▪ Strong written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
▪ A proven ability to manage competing priorities, work on multiple tasks simultaneously,
seek clarification when required, and meet deadlines effectively.
▪ Experience in the not-for-profit sector is an asset.
▪ Demonstrates a growth mindset – eager to learn, adaptable to changing contexts and
priorities, able to take initiative and make suggestions for solutions.
▪ Engages confidently and constructively with individuals from many different cultures
and professional backgrounds.
▪ Embodies an entrepreneurial spirit, proactively anticipating organisational needs.
▪ Willingness to work across the organisation at all levels in a collegial and collaborative
English proficiency is required. Knowledge of languages from any AKF countries of
operation is considered useful: Urdu, Swahili, Arabic, Russian, French, Portuguese,
Dari, Kyrgyz, Tajik
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: August 31, 2023 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is
only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and
operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the
AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a
wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a
whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations
are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.