Position: Volunteer & Community Engagement Officer
Employer: Aga Khan Foundation Canada
Deadline: January 10, 2023
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Salary Range: $57,000 and $63,000
Closing Date: January 10, 2023
Terms of Reference
Volunteer & Community Engagement Officer
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to global challenges. Working in Africa and Asia, we invest in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca
AKFC has a multi-faceted and dynamic Public Engagement and Resource Mobilization team. It is made up of highly motivated professionals, whose responsibilities include: the development and execution of public engagement initiatives; the mobilization of financial resources from Canadian individuals and corporations; the management of corporate communications; collaboration with the AKDN and its agencies; volunteer engagement; and the stewarding of relationships with government partners and other institutions.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Resource Mobilization, the Officer, Volunteer & Community Engagement collaborates with staff and volunteers to support the development and implementation of fundraising strategies and initiatives to meet AKFC’s resource mobilization goals and organizational objectives. The Officer provides daily coordination support to the resource mobilization team on key aspects of AKFC’s fundraising campaigns with a focus on volunteer and community engagement, and campaign operations. The Officer mainly supports the World Partnership Walk (WPW) and World Partnership Golf (WPG) fundraising campaigns.
While AKFC is headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario the position can be remote.
The starting salary range for this position is between $57,000 and $63,000 per year.
• Support development, implementation, and evaluation of volunteer engagement strategies and plans, including year-round stewardship and recognition.
• Support orientation and onboarding, performance management and professional development of senior volunteers.
• Help develop processes and resources to support senior volunteers with volunteer recruitment, onboarding, management, and succession planning for their teams.
• Respond to volunteer inquiries and provide key information, tools, and resources to enable their success in their roles.
• Support planning and implementation of volunteer engagement events.
• Ensure that volunteer engagement activities respect AKF’s commitment to safeguarding and respect diversity, inclusion and gender equality.
• Collaborate with Public Engagement and Resource Mobilization colleagues and senior volunteers to help develop, plan, implement, and evaluate fundraiser engagement strategies and activities to build awareness of the cause and grow fundraising revenue.
• Respond to fundraiser and donor inquiries in an expedient and professional manner, and provide appropriate guidance, tools, and resources to support fundraising and awareness-raising efforts.
• Support development and implementation of rewards and recognition program; collaborate with multiple portfolios, research industry best practices, present proposals and deliver yearly rewards and recognition program within deadline and budget constraints.
• Support the planning, execution, tracking, and stewardship of supporters for DIY fundraising and other market development programs.
• Help develop, implement, and provide logistical support for engagement, stewardship, and recognition events (virtual and/or in-person), in collaboration with staff and volunteers.
• Occasionally help develop and deliver “Lunch & Learn” presentations.
• Provide project management support for various aspects of the World Partnership Walk and World Partnership Golf fundraising campaigns.
• Coordinate and implement yearly redesign and updates of fundraising resources, toolkits, and campaign material. Gather feedback from team members, provide guidance to graphic designer and ensure resources are updated on time and within budget.
• Support yearly updates to volunteer tools, resources, and process documents.
• Help make updates to the WPW and WPG websites as required throughout the year.
• Support in in development of strategies around use of fundraising technology
• Draft content for website, social media, and communications tools (fundraising resources) on an ad hoc basis
• Coordinate translation of resources as required.
• Coordinate document management.
• Support and coordinate the procurement, management, distribution and inventory of fundraising and promotional material (i.e. gifts, prizes, print materials, etc.). Act as relationship manager with suppliers and service providers.
• Support management of e-store; manage the front and back end of the store, ensure inventory is accurate, liaise with third party vendor, place orders when needed, update and maintenance of the e-store front.
Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor's degree
• 3+ years experience in fundraising-related role preferred; peer-to-peer fundraising experience ideal
• Experience working with or managing volunteers preferred
• Demonstrated ability to build meaningful relationships with external stakeholders, particularly fundraisers, donors, and volunteers
• Superior oral and written communication skills in English. Proficiency in French is highly desirable
• Strong execution and operational skills – know how to get things done in an organized and systematic fashion
• Excellent project management skills
• Attention to detail
• Ability to successfully juggle multiple, competing deadlines in a fast‐paced, changing environment
• Strong presentation and storytelling skills
• Ability to manage a flexible work schedule given the nature of working with volunteer schedules
• Experience working with graphic designers and creative agencies
• Proficient computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs
• Experience with working in Microsoft 365 and Google Suite cloud environments is an asset
• Flexible and adaptable
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email to AKFC.HR@AKDN.ORG indicating Volunteer & Community Engagement Officer in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview and asked to complete a writing assignment.
Deadline for submissions: Tuesday January 10, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please note that applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.