Position: Administrative Assistant-Parental Leave Cover
Employer: Aga Khan Foundation Canada
Location: Ottawa, ON
Deadline: October 15, 2023
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Entry Level
Salary Range: between $42,000 and $47,000 per year.
Closing Date: October 15, 2023
Terms of Reference
Administrative Assistant – Parental Leave Cover
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to global challenges. Working in Africa and Asia, we invest in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the Programs, Public Engagement and Resource Mobilization, and Human Resources departments, including organizing logistics for travel, meetings and team events as well as facilitating internal processes such as contracting. The incumbent is a focal point for information and is responsible for ensuring administrative and organizational efficiency within the department. The incumbent is expected to be proactive and have the ability to forecast the administrative needs of the three departments. This position is a contract position for 13 months.
The incumbent should be available to work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
The starting salary range for this position is between $42,000 and $47,000 per year.
The Administrative Assistant’s main areas of responsibility include:
• Act as the focal point between the finance department and the teams, taking responsibility for purchase order / invoice management, expense claims, administrative budgets and other finance-related tasks
• Support logistics for internal and external meetings, both virtual and in-person.
• Manage the calendars of the Directors of Public Affairs and Resource Mobilization and Programs, scheduling relevant regular meetings and check-ins and acting as a liaison with external parties to book meetings.
• Act as the focal point for contract preparation and management, ensuring that proper procedures and templates are followed and that all supporting documentation is provided.
• Provide support to the human resources function, PO and invoice managements related to human resources, in particular; serving as a focal point posting job opportunities across various websites, receiving and managing job applications, scheduling interviews, any candidate tests or assignments, and arranging on-boarding.
• Provide logistical support for events, manage constituent data, and handle communications inventory.
• Arrange logistics for travel by maintaining travel calendars, submitting and coordinating payment for travel visa applications, and working with a travel agent to arrange various transportation and accommodation.
• Assist with coordinating logistics for staff visiting from field units and guest speakers including accommodation, health insurance and travel.
• Provide operational support for shipping and other administrative and logistics needs as they arise.
• Respond to public inquiries.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Post-secondary education from an accredited college or university required.
• One to three years’ experience in an administrative position.
Essential Skills and Attributes
• Proven competence with standard technical and computer tools commonly used in office applications, including the Microsoft Office suite and the Internet.
• Ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities from a number of sources, and apply negotiation skills.
• Proven administrative, time management and organizational skills with the ability to apply great attention to detail, prioritize work and apply judgment to situations.
• Able to work independently supporting a team of individuals to achieve results.
• Excellent communications skills (verbal and written).
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees via email by 15 October 2023 to:
Subject line: Administrative Assistant
To learn more about us, please visit our website at: www.akfc.ca
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please note that applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. The position is based in Ottawa and will require regular presence at the AKFC office within the Delegation Building.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.