Position: Web Communications Advisor
Employer: Uniterra - WUSC and CECI program
Deadline: July 29, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: July 29, 2018
DURATION: 3 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE: Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Agricultural Non State Actors Forum (ANSAF) was established in 2006 to advocate for agricultural policies that work for the poor. Its members include local and international non-governmental organizations, private companies, civil society organizations and farmer networks. ANSAF carries out its work by educating smallholder farmers and advocating for their interests with the government. They facilitate dialogues at the local and national level between farmers and decision makers, and empower farmers to advocate for their own rights through increased access to information. To learn more visit ansaf.or.tz
ANSAF is developing a new mobile-first website, which is 50% complete, including customization, brand elements and navigation. The website aims to:
- Position ANSAF as a modern and reliable information hub, preparing for expansion;
- Simplify complex concepts for broader understanding and shareability;
- Improve Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for greater proliferation and inclusion; and
- Improve two-way communication and data sharing for members.
The Web Communications Advisor volunteer will work toward Uniterra program and ANSAF objectives in guiding the completion of this phase, including content development, analytics and website launch.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Train the communications team on website software, analytics and design principles;
- Complete internal research on issues, projects and events;
- Work with all teams to determine critical concepts to be communicated;
- Support and provide guidance on copy contributions from all teams;
- Work alongside the team to simplify content and copy for web publication;
- Support staff in ensuring SEO for each web page;
- Advise on image sourcing and work with team to visualize data;
- Provide guidance in the migration of the website from http to https;
- Set-up and customize Google Analytics account, train staff on the same;
- Troubleshoot software issues and support the launch of the website;
- Document brand standards, assets and project milestones;
- Ensure that tools, strategies and trainings are designed, delivered and disseminated in equally accessible and inclusive ways across genders, considering the unique barriers they face; and
- Produce reports required by ANSAF and the Uniterra program.
- Degree and/or formal education or training in digital marketing, communication or related field
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience, including marketing project management, digital copywriting, brand management, Google Analytics, SEO
- Experience with and knowledge of landing page design
- Website maintenance, with WordPress website development and Elementor being assets
- Intermediate graphic design skills
- Basic HTML, with Adobe Creative Suite training being an asset
- Intercultural communications skills and diplomacy
- Commitment to and understanding of gender equality, youth inclusion and volunteering
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: