Position: Spanish Communication Advisor - Volunteer in Nicaragua
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: May 3, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: May 3, 2018
City San Carlos and Sabalos, Nicaragua
Start Date Apr - Jun 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 11 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
The Volunteer’s Role
Fundación del Rio is an environmental protection organization working in the southeast region of Nicaragua. Fundación del Rio promotes the defense, protection, and restoration of natural ecosystems in the region; the environmental education as a way of life for communities living in the Rio San Juan region; stimulate the development of alternative technologies; as well as the economic development and Eco touristic activities to improve the quality of life of the communities.
Fundación del Rio works closely with the communities in a radio stations project, Radio Voz Juvenil, for the youth of the region to participate actively in their communities and Radio Humedales. The radios promote values of environmental protection, citizen participation, and the social, economic and political development of the communities.
As a Communication Advisor, you will support Fundación del Rio to develop a communication strategy for the organization that includes internal and external communications, including a plan for the different activities of the Fundación. You will mostly be working with the two radio stations to support the development of a strategy, programming and the training of young people, from the magical and tropical region of Rio San Juan.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support Fundacion del Rio to develop a communication strategy for the organization that includes internal and external communications. This communication strategy should include a plan for the different activities (radio stations, economic activities, and environmental protection actions).
- Fundacion del Rio owns two radio stations (Voz Juvenil and Radio Humedales). The volunteer will work directly with these two radios stations most of the time.
- Provide support for the development of a communication plan and strategy that includes all activities of Fundacion del Rio.
- Provide support for the development of communication guides to be used by any team of Fundacion del Rio.
- Provide support for the development of a manual to train youth on social broadcasting.
- Provide support for the development of a sustainable strategy for both radio stations.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Bachelor degree in Communications or Journalism
Essential Professional Background:
At least 2 years of experience working at a community radio station