Position: Public Affairs Officer
Employer: Aga Khan Foundation Canada
Deadline: May 31, 2018
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: May 31, 2018
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is a non-profit international development agency, working in Asia and Africa to find sustainable solutions to the complex problems causing global poverty. AKFC concentrates on a number of specific development challenges in health, education, rural development and civil society. In Canada, AKFC raises funds, builds partnerships with Canadian institutions, and promotes discussion and learning on international development issues. Established in 1980, AKFC is a registered Canadian charity and an agency of the worldwide Aga Khan Development Network.
AKFC is seeking a Public Affairs Officer to join the Public Affairs team. The Public Affairs team is responsible for implementing a program of activities that promotes learning and dialogue on international development issues, increasing AKFC’s profile in Canada, and coordinating the visitor experience at AKFC’s headquarters at the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat. The Public Affairs Officer will: (i) develop and deliver a robust events agenda and (ii) lead the Visitor Program at the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat. The position is based in Ottawa, Ontario and is a one year contract with the possibility of extension. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Public Affairs.
- Plan and execute high quality events, including, seminars, workshops, conferences and other activities.
- All activities should employ gender-sensitive approaches and integrate relevant gender equality information.
- Identify opportunities to engage stakeholders and collaborate with like-minded organizations.
- Carry out audience research to understand the needs of the Canadian development community and other target audiences.
- Carry out all aspects of event planning and delivery, including developing scenarios, drafting invitations and website updates, providing support to speakers, and event logistics.
- Carry out marketing activities, including drafting events postings, social media posts and possible media engagement.
- Monitor emerging issues and trends in the international development sector.
- Develop and implement strategies to follow-up with audiences and sustain engagement.
- Carry out monitoring, evaluation and reporting activities, including data entry and analysis, and feed lessons into future activities to ensure continual improvement of programming.
- Contribute to the execution of other outreach activities as required.
- Provide tours of the Delegation Building.
- Manage Visitor Program volunteer guides, including recruitment, training, presentations, briefings, scheduling shifts, organizing volunteer appreciation events.
- Supervise lead Visitor Program volunteer, who is responsible for much of the day-to-day coordination of the program.
- Respond to queries regarding the Visitor Program.
- Manage special requests for tours (large groups, VIPs, staff requests).
- Develop and update Visitor Program promotional material.
- Monitor and evaluate visitor data and provide updates to senior management
- Develop and disseminate content that is relevant to the Canadian development community and other target audiences, including learning briefs, conference reports and other knowledge products.
- Prepare planning documents, including concept notes, proposals, work plans, budgets, promotional plans and dissemination strategies.
- Manage external suppliers and consultants as needed.
The Public Affairs Officer will work in close collaboration with other members of the Public Affairs team as well as the Operations, Program and Resource Development teams.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant discipline such as international development, public affairs, communication, adult education or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of five years of experience in communication, outreach and/or events programming
- Experience engaging with public audiences through public speaking and/or delivering tours
- Ability to cultivate and maintain partnerships with a range of experts in the Canadian development community and related sectors
- Excellent understanding of communication, public engagement and knowledge exchange strategies
- Excellent presentation, writing, communication and social media skills
- Strong understanding of international development issues
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities, and manage a variety of activities simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to travel in Canada
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in French is highly desirable
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating Public Affairs Officer in the subject line. The application deadline is May 31, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Please note that this position is only open to Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
To learn more about us, please visit our website at: www.akfc.ca
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted. AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.