Position: Programs and Partnerships Officer
Employer: Aga Khan Foundation Canada
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Deadline: March 22, 2023
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Salary Range: $60,000 and $64,000
Closing Date: March 22, 2023
Terms of Reference
Programs and Partnerships Officer
Location: Ottawa, ON; or remote
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to global challenges. Working in Africa and Asia, we invest in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
The Programs and Partnerships Officer is responsible for overseeing the grant management of a portfolio of assigned grants funded by North American donors, contributing to global program and proposal development, representing AKFC at various networking events, conferences and meetings of technical groups, and supporting public engagement and professional learning. The position also supports AKF’s Global Partnerships function. The Programs and Partnerships Officer will report to the Senior Manager, Programs, Partnerships, and Results.
While AKFC is headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario the position can be remote.
The starting salary range for this position is between $60,000 and $64,000 per year.
• Provide overall guidance, oversight, quality control and coordination for grant management across all components of an assigned grant portfolio funded by North American donors. Activities include work planning, budgeting, reporting, field missions, monitoring and evaluation, environmental compliance, gender equality, ensuring general compliance and provision of technical assistance.
• Coordinate proposal development in response to solicited and unsolicited funding opportunities, in consultation with AKFC’s Finance and Public Engagement departments, implementing agencies, and AKF’s Global Program Team.
• Contribute to other aspects of business development, such as (but not limited to) donor intelligence, opportunity scanning and identification, and pre-positioning.
• Provide support to AKF’s Global Partnerships function and team, including on managing global processes related to resource mobilization and grant management, mentoring Partnerships staff in field offices, and providing support on program design and proposal development processes.
• Developing positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, such as donor representatives for relevant projects, sectors and/or geographies, consultants, AKF and AKDN technical working groups, and other NGOs.
• Contribute to visibility of, and engagement with, AKFC’s work in international development in North America and abroad. This may include fostering partnerships, cooperation and coordination with other organizations in Canada and overseas; representing AKFC at relevant provincial, national and international forums and conferences; contributing to the development of project communications materials; and identifying opportunities to engage Canadian audiences in development, particularly related to women’s empowerment.
Qualifications & Experience
• Master’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as international development.
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a program management, grant management, and/or business development role, preferably including at least one (1) year in a position based in a developing country.
• Proven experience in business and proposal development for institutional donors.
• Experience working on international development projects funded by institutional donors, including experience meeting donor criteria in project design, reporting and monitoring and evaluation.
• Experience working on projects funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) is an asset.
• Knowledge of, and experience with, results-based management.
• Knowledge of key concepts in gender equality and women’s empowerment and experience with integrating and implementing these concepts in programs.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Candidates who can also work in French are strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated capacity to respect and safeguard vulnerable populations.
• Ability to travel up to 25% of time per year, including to Africa and Asia.
Essential Skills and Attributes
• Dynamic, collaborative, and able to work in challenging contexts with patience, perseverance, and flexibility.
• Capacity to work independently, take initiative, set priorities, and manage a variety of activities simultaneously.
• Enthusiastic about learning from others and sharing knowledge.
• Demonstrated intercultural competence and ability to adapt professional skills to fit local conditions and constraints.
• Superb analytical, organizational, negotiation and problem-solving skills. Proven interpersonal and communication skills in diverse and cross-cultural settings.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Programs and Partnerships Officer” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview and asked to complete a written assignment.
Deadline for submissions: March 22, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please note that applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.