Position: Marketing and Communications Manager with Viamo
Employer: Engineers Without Borders
Location: Accra, Ghana
Deadline: February 16, 2018
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: February 16, 2018
Role: Marketing and Communications Manager
Location: Accra, Ghana
Start Date: Training beginning May 7th, departure for placement May 27th, 2018
Duration: 3 weeks of training in Toronto, 12 months in Ghana
This role is with Viamo in Ghana, through Engineers Without Borders (EWB)'s Fellowship Program. To read the full job description and apply, visit: https://www.ewb.ca/en/get-involved/apply-for-fellowships/
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Viamo (formerly know as VOTO Mobile) is a fast growing social enterprise with over 15 offices around the world including hub offices in Accra, Dakar and Mumbai. Our services help partners distribute and collect information by engaging difficult-to-reach populations through their mobile phones. We specialize in interactive voice calls (including IVR) and SMS in local languages, instantly reaching across distance and literacy barriers. We serve a wide variety of use-cases including under the broad themes of Data Collection and Behaviour Change Communication: journalists who run national public interest surveys, rural clinics who distribute maternal health education, policy makers who study vaccine supply chains, economic development organizations who reach out to farmers, urban planners who monitor water distribution access, and academics who research the effect of public health interventions.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Viamo has been relatively successful at convincing development organizations, one at a time, to consider mobile as part of their impact strategy. Over time, we have helped our partners implement hundreds of projects in over 100 countries and reached tens of millions of people. Viamo is excited to finally invest in documenting and learning from these stories, as well as sharing them with the development community.
The main activities in the role are:
- Call Viamo staff and Viamo partners to understand and document the impact of our work.
- Visit partner project sites to talk to end beneficiaries to understand and document the impact of our work.
- Develop an impact measurement framework that can be adapted to each type of project Viamo is engaged in.
- Write case studies about our work and impact in collaboration with our partners. Those should include as much evidence of impact as possible.
- Manage Viamo’s website and social media accounts. Try to get our impact stories published on relevant 3rd-party publications.
- Communicate our impact stories internally within Viamo to motivate our staff.
- Possibly create videos (with an agency?) to better explain what we do and/or showcase our projects.
- Possibly take high-quality pictures in a few project locations to enhance our communication materials.
- Support our staff with the creation of presentations or custom vase studies in the context of business development.
- Three case studies per month published on our website.
- One white paper per quarter about how to maximize the impact of mobile engagement initiatives
-One mention of Viamo in a relevant 3rd party publication per quarter.-
- One internal video per month sharing an impact story with our staff.
- One/Two pieces of custom communication material as requested by a business development staff.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills (Bilingual English and French is an asset). Writing portfolio will be asked as part of the selection -
- Experience with impact measurement in an international development context.
- Experience with business-to-business (enterprise) communication and marketing.
- Experience with video production, photography, graphic design, social media and presentations.
- Demonstrated autonomous aptitude: supervision for the role will be virtual.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial aptitude: Viamo hasn’t done much communication work so far.
- High personal standard for excellence.
- Strong interest/passion for the role of mobile engagement in development.
EWB is committed to diversity, and encourages applications from diverse candidates.
Please note: Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents, and hold an undergraduate degree or diploma.
To read the full job description and apply, visit: https://www.ewb.ca/en/get-involved/apply-for-fellowships/