Position: Business Development Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Location: GHANA , Accra
Deadline: August 31, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: August 31, 2019
GHANA , Accra
Flexible duration (3-8 months)
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
The Peasant Farmers Association of Ghana is an apex farmer organisation with 700 farmer based organizations (FBOs) comprising an average of 50 members each. PFAG’s mission is to develop programs to increase agricultural production, processing and marketing by building and strengthening the capacities of farmers in policy, advocacy, and entrepreneurship. PFAG also works to improve access to local, national and international markets and resources.
Mobile Business Clinic (MBC) Africa was established in 2012 as a collaborative initiative between the Lundin Foundation, Engineers Without Borders (EWB) Canada, and Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) through the West Africa Technical Assistance Facility (WATAF).
MBC Africa promotes the growth of African business by through the provision of business services. MBC Africa identifies, nurtures, and develops viable growth-oriented African businesses in order to encourage sustainable and impactful investment in selected African economies including Ghana, Ivory Coast, and Mali.
The Business Development Advisor will support PFAG in strengthening and scaling the sustainability of the business of its members. This entails developing a business case, and engaging with agricultural actors. The Business Development Advisor will support the review, monitoring and evaluation of the business support and advisory services that MBC Africa provides to small and medium enterprises in Ghana.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support PFAG members in developing their products;
- Facilitate network and business partnership development for PFAG;
- Develop appropriate M&E tools and strategies for MBC Africa business advisory services to small and medium enterprises;
- Advise MBC Africa members on the development and selection of indicators, assuring data quality and optimal data collection tools;
- Support MBC Africa in implementation evaluation recommendations into portofoli reviews and designs;
- Support the collection and analysis of monitoring and evaluation data to inform decision making;
- Support staff with M&E activities, and conduct trainings for staff;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities and all program benefits;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies; and
- Write reports required by MBC Africa and PFAG and the Uniterra program.
- Degree/ or formal education in business administration, or relevant discipline
- Demonstrated experience in innovation and ability to mobilize diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in program monitoring and evaluation
- Proven ability to engage with private sector actors
- Proven and demonstrated ability to develop fresh approaches and innovations
- Excellent networking, facilitation, design and business skills
- Strong interpersonal, writing and communication skills in English
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.
- Link to apply: http://bit.ly/2WnyP43
- For inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org