Position: Career Development Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Location: VIET NAM , Ho Chi Minh
Deadline: August 31, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: August 31, 2019
VIET NAM , Ho Chi Minh
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic sub sectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
SaigonTourist Hospitality College (STHC), located in Ho Chi Minh City, is a national tourism school in Vietnam. Benefiting from the valuable assistance and support from the Saigon Tourist Holding Company, as well as other foreign partners, STHC now boasts a host of international standard equipment and facilities and a faculty of dedicated lecturers well-trained in both pedagogical techniques and practical professional experiences. For more information, please visit: http://en.sthc.edu.vn/
STHC seeks a volunteer Career Development Advisor to prepare students for employment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide guidance and support in developing career development lessons related to the current syllabus and/or develop separate soft skills training sessions to complement the current technical training;
- Provide workshops on career development for teachers and staff;
- Provide support with activities related to career development, in order to increase the employability of students in a global labour market;
- Collaborate with other Uniterra volunteers to provide workshops and/or training to the teachers and staff of Uniterra Vietnam’s local institutional partners (upon request);
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities of and all program benefits; and
- Write reports required by STHC and the Uniterra program.
- Relevant degree or training in career development, youth engagement and event planning
At least 2 years of experience in a related field
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.