Position: Water, Sanitation And Hygiene Advisor - Volunteer in Malawi
Employer: Cuso International
Location: Mpika, Malawi
Deadline: October 1, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: October 1, 2018
9 Months | Start Date between Aug - Oct 2018
As WASH Advisor, you bring strong technical expertise to the SANI team in Malawi, working with colleagues to ensure that SANI builds local capacity to improve water and sanitation practices in target communities. This will involve working with colleagues to conduct situational analysis, sharing international and evidence-based best practices, developing and testing KAP tools to identify gaps in current sanitation and hygiene practices, and supporting the team to finalize the SANI WASH strategy in Malawi.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Work with staff to develop tools and field test to capture individuals’ knowledge, attitude and practice of sanitation and hygiene practices
- Assess and advise on the technical gaps on current WASH and CLTS practices in Malawi’s SANI target districts.
- Document and share best WASH and CLTS practices with team and partners
- Facilitate capacity building for project staff and key stakeholders in WASH and CLTS
- Lead in the development of SANI Malawi nutrition gender sensitive WASH and CLTS strategy
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in Environmental Health /Public Health or closely related fields.
Essential Professional Background:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in WASH programming, particularly in sanitation and hygiene
- Understanding behaviour change and health promotion methods
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months