Position: Social Cartographer
Employer: Cuso International
Location: Chinda Santa Barbara Honduras
Deadline: July 31, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Entry Level
Closing Date: July 31, 2018
Start Date Jun - Aug 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish, English
Spanish Reading: Level 3, Writing: Level 3, Speaking: Level 4
English Reading: Level 3, Writing: Level 3, Speaking: Level 3
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The Organismo Cristiano de Desarrollo Integral de Honduras is a non-profit non-governmental organization (NGO) focused on development. Founded in 1993 in the city of Santa Rosa de Copan, OCDIH supports comprehensive development processes, aiming at promoting economic growth of people in neglected rural areas, emergency assistance during natural disasters, and social, ethnic, religious and political unrest.
The partner organization focuses on promoting the capacities and rights of women and men and their organizational expressions in a sustainable manner through the perspective of justice and welfare.
Due to the nature of the work the Volunteer is also expected to work in close coordination with CONIMCHH, which is the primary organization that represents the Indigenous Maya Chorti communities in Copan, Honduras.
As a volunteer you will contribute with investigative efforts and research regarding indigenous peoples territories and lands in Copan and Ocotepeque departments of Honduras. The Cartographer will support in mapping the extent of indigenous peoples territories in Copan and Ocotepeque departments of Honduras.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Develop meetings with the various leadership of the Indigenous communities (CONIMCHH)
- Organize visits to the various indigenous communities
- Elaborate reports and doc- Coordinate and lead a mapping exercise of indigenous people’s territories:
1.Mapping the extend of land already recovered by the indigenous communities
2.Mapping of regions in which indigenous communities exist without access to land
3.Mapping of lands suited for agriculture and forest
4.Mapping of Maya Chorti families and demographic within different departments
- Coordinate with other volunteers and actors for the implementation of the strategic plan for the defense of indigenous peoples rights
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University degree in Social Sciences, International Development, Human Geography and/or equivalent experience in a related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience working with Indigenous Populations
- Expertise in developing charts and maps of demographics and territories
- Knowledge of tools and systems for the design and development of demographical and topographical maps/graphs/ charts.
- Experience conducting research projects
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation