Position: Senior Program Accountant
Employer: Canadian Feed The Children
Location: Ottawa or Toronto
Deadline: December 20, 2019
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: December 20, 2019
Canadian Feed The Children (CFTC) – proudly and independently Canadian since 1986 – works to unlock children’s potential through community-led action in Canada and around the world. CFTC delivers development programs through local partners that have positive, meaningful, and sustained impact on children’s lives and on the self-sufficiency of their families and communities. Currently operating in five countries (Bolivia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Uganda, and in Indigenous communities in Canada), this award-winning, Imagine Canada Standards-accredited agency is at the leading edge of practice in the international development sector. If you share our passion for bettering children’s lives, and thrive in a collaborative, values-based culture where creativity and innovation are rewarded, please consider applying for this role.
SENIOR PROGRAM ACCOUNTANT
(FOR INTERNATIONAL & CANADA PROGRAMS)
Role can be based in Ottawa or Toronto
About the Position:
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance, this full-time role is responsible for the review, management and oversight of the financial activities for the CFTC programs and Country Offices (programs operate in Indigenous communities throughout Canada, Ghana, Ethiopia, Uganda and Bolivia). This includes monitoring the financial progress of CFTC international and Canada programs, maintaining the chart of accounts, reviewing and updating budgets, financial reporting packages and being the main contact for the country offices when it comes to financial reporting. You will need to possess strong financial analysis and management skills as they provide financial oversight and guidance to the respective Country Directors and their accounting staff. In this role you will set up and maintain program specific accounts in the CFTC accounting system, prepares program reports and schedules, assists with the development of programs including review of proposals and contracts/Contribution Agreements, as well as providing assistance to partner organizations and CFTC country offices. You will also liaise with corporate and program auditors, partnering organizations and institutional donors. A key aspect of this position is the monitoring of financial activities, investigating variances, providing guidance and support to country offices, financial analysis and making recommendations.
1. Liaise with the Programs and Development teams to set up and maintain financial records in all country offices, ensuring a solid audit trail while complying with CFTC’s accounting, financial, administrative and other policies.
2. Provide leadership, financial advice and technical guidance the CFTC country offices, Programs and Development teams, and partner organizations to ensure compliance with CFTC policies and procedures, government regulations and contracts/Contribution Agreements.
3. Researches, compiles and prepares budget and work plan figures for proposals and existing programs.
Posted October 25th, 2019
4. Produce and analyzes financial reports for the various programs, country offices and partnering
organizations. Review and process program expenditures to ensure compliance with CFTC policies, donor
instructions, government guidelines and terms of the relevant contract/Contribution Agreement.
5. Ensures country office financial reports, other incoming reports, expenditures and requests for advances are
accurate and complete, performs multiple currency conversions, records disbursements and expenditures,
and follows up on all transfers.
6. Generates and updates, as required, daily salary/benefit rate calculations for international staff working
outside of Canada (i.e. local nationals working in the country offices) and calculates recoverable
remuneration from the Programs. Oversees and approves the payroll for international country offices and
related payroll reports, oversees and administers international benefits/allowances as applicable. Provide
backup support for the Canada payroll processing when required.
7. Prepares and reviews various program financial reports, ensuring compliance with contracts and
agreements, and reconciling with accounting system (full reporting includes revenue recognition, interest
allocation to programs, ongoing foreign exchange loss risk analysis, program cash flow management,
generating/compiling periodic re-forecast, and budget/forecast variance analysis).
8. Reviews partner contracts, contribution agreements and sub-contractor agreements, provides
recommendations for revision, when applicable.
9. Participates in preparation and support of the CFTC annual audit and provides information on local and
international partner audits.
10. Travels to Canadian and International offices as required (i.e. Ghana, Ethiopia, Bolivia and Winnipeg).
1. Ideally you possess at least ten years of related financial management and accounting experience supporting
international offices with program and partner financial reporting, analysis and activities.
2. You have relevant education such as a Bachelor of Commerce degree, or equivalent with a specialization in
Finance/Accounting and relevant work experience.
3. A high level of proficiency with SAGE (AccPac) accounting software plus general knowledge of other
packages such as QuickBooks, Simply Accounting, ADP payroll, etc. is part of your skill set.
4. You have experience supporting international accounting personnel remotely. Some experience working in
an accounting capacity in a Field Office is an asset.
5. Knowledge of ASPE and ASNPO. High degree of knowledge of Financial Management. Knowledge and
experience in financial management practices in international offices and knowledge of program
management. High degree of knowledge of Government of Canada Travel Directives.
6. Ability to plan and prioritize work. Ability to work in a team environment and independently, with minimal
supervision. Strong attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to thrive under pressure while seeking valuesdriven
and team-based results.
7. Willing and able to travel within Canada and internationally on short term assignments.
Interested? Please submit your C.V. and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the name of the position in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest
however only those under consideration will be contacted. This position will remain open until the
successful candidate has been identified. Canadian Feed The Children is committed to creating a diverse
environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Canadian Feed The Children is committed
to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage
applications from all people. Upon individual request, we will endeavour to remove any barrier to the
recruitment, interviewing and hiring processes to accommodate candidates with disabilities. Please inform
us should accommodation be required at any point.