Position: Organizational Development and Human Resources Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Location: MALAWI , Lilongwe
Deadline: July 31, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: July 31, 2019
MALAWI , Lilongwe
Flexible duration (3-8 months)
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Timveni is a youth media organization working to empower youth to understand their human rights and responsibilities as citizens. Timveni has evolved from a radio project to an independent institution and acts as a platform for youth to discuss challenges in their communities. Timveni encourages youth to make observations, integrate these observations into a positive world view, and express them through words packaged as speeches, music and other creative expressions. Timveni is able to facilitate engagement between youth within and across districts to communicate their views to decision makers in Malawi via the Timveni Radio and Timveni Television platforms.
The Organizational Development and Human Resources Advisor will support youth empowerment programming by developing the management capacities of a radio station focused on youth programming and empowerment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support internal reviews to identify institutional and management requirements, and support ongoing monitoring and evaluation of capacity development activities intended to broaden the Timveni audience to include more women and youth;
- Assist in the design and implementation of a governance framework and organizational development plans;
- Provide coaching and mentoring on employee training to key team members, including youth;
- Assist in training key team members on different aspects of organizational development, and assist in developing and updating required organizational tools and systems;
- Support in planning for the expansion of the radio;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities and all program benefits;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies; and
- Write reports required by Timveni and the Uniterra program.
- Degree and/or training in human resources or business administration or a related discipline
- Experience in implementing organizational governance and/or leadership development plans
- Experience designing and delivering capacity-building activities and coaching sessions
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.