Position: Marketing Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Deadline: February 23, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: February 23, 2018
DURATION: 6 months
LOCATION: PHILIPPINES , Tacloban City
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE: Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan destroyed the shelter and livelihoods of many people living in Leyte and the Samar Islands in the Philippines. The Haiyan Reconstruction Project builds on the achievements and lessons learnt from the implementation of the Typhoon Haiyan Livelihoods Response Project which was also implemented by the Centre d’étude et de coopération internationale (CECI). The Haiyan Reconstruction Project aligns with the reconstruction plans of the Government and provincial department which highlight agriculture and the fisheries as the sectors of focus for reconstruction and acknowledge the role and importance of actively engaging and providing economic activities to women. The project also works on needs identified by the local government, communities and microenterprises; in the project areas.
The project objectives are to facilitate the development of new and existing Micro, Small and Medium enterprises (MSME) led by women groups, targeting the identified economic opportunities in agriculture, livestock, fisheries, processing and other non-farm sectors.
The project will facilitate the development of new and existing micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) led by women groups, targeting the identified economic opportunities in agriculture, livestock, fisheries, processing and other non-farm sectors. This will be accomplished, among other things, by supporting Vocational Training centers, Financial Institutions and Business Development Services in adjusting their training modules / products / services to respond to women and young women needs.
The Marketing Advisor will provide technical support to individual and group MSMEs as well as the urban vegetable growers supported by the project. He/she will help ensure sustainability of these micro-enterprises and urban vegetable production groups by working with the project team in designing and implementing appropriate marketing strategies based on the local context.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct a needs assessment of Micro, Small and Medium enterprises (MSME) and vegetable production in relation to marketing ie.,development of marketing plans and materials, product packaging, business/product diversification.
- Support the project in implementing activities to strengthen the marketing of products as well as business diversification of MSMEs supported by the project
- Provide analytical and technical support to evaluate and revise project strategies on MSMES and urban agriculture to ensure marketability of products and business sustainability.
- Assist in the development of marketing materials and other communication materials for TUKOD’s partner-MSMEs.
- Periodically, support the review of the Performance Measurement Framework (degree of achievement of results)
- Ensure the participation and representation of women and youth in activities and program benefits.
- University degree in Business or communication with a strong interest in marketing or other related field;
- At least three years of work experience in the area of marketing;
- Strong technical writing skills (reports, studies, etc.)
- Solid command of English (spoken and written) a requirement.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communications skills;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: