Position: Language Teaching Methodology Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Deadline: April 7, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: April 7, 2018
DURATION: 12 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE: Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic sub-sectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus, please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Hue Tourism College (HUETC) is located in Hue City, Vietnam’s Ancient Capital and an important socio-economic hub of the country’s central region. Established in 1999, the college currently offers one- to three-year training programs in hotel & restaurant management, food & beverage management, tour operation management, food production & cookery, and tour guiding. The college continues to focus on bringing its training quality closer to international standards, especially in the context of increasing domestic and international competition in the tourism industry. For more information on HUETC, please go to:www.huetc.edu.vn.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Language Teaching Methodology Advisor will work in collaboration with faculty members at HUETC to:
- Observe lessons and provide feedback to teachers to improve their teaching practices;
- Review and update the current English curriculum and assist teachers with the selection of appropriate teaching materials;
- Train and assist teachers in lesson planning and student-centered teaching methods;
- Model best practices by teaching and co-teaching classes as needed;
- Prepare and draft reports required by the host organization and the Uniterra program; and
- Ensure that training and technical support methods are developed free of gender stereotypes and are as appropriate for women as they are for men.
- Relevant Degree(s) in Education or Teaching English as a Second Language
- At least one (1) years of proven teaching experience
- Excellent communications and training skills
- Work experience in multicultural environment is an asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: