Position: Gender Advsior
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Deadline: March 31, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: March 31, 2018
DURATION: 12 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE: Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus, please visit: Uniterra.ca.
PRERANA is a social development organization in Nepal that has been working in favor of rights and justice of poor and disadvantaged groups in central region of Terai districts of Nepal since 1999. It was established with active involvement of professionals with long experience in the field of integrated community development specifically, community organization, health and disability, micro-finance, gender and Women’s empowerment. PRERANA works in many sectors like agriculture, education, disaster mitigation, child rights, people with disability rights, gender and women’s rights.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with the Prerana team to facilitate Gender and Social Inclusion capacity development activities for Uniterra partners;
- Work with Uniterra partners to review, update and/or develop their Gender and Social Inclusion policies and strategies for women’s economic empowerment;
- Implement a Gender and Social Inclusion responsive monitoring and evaluation framework with Uniterra partners;
- Develop and update a database or shared information network which includes Gender and Social Inclusion resources and documents;
- Before developing training tools/documents, be sure to consult or conduct a gender analysis bearing on the training subject at hand so as to be able to integrate it into your training tools/documents;and
- Promote the accessibility and participation of women and men, especially young women and young men, in all program activities.
- University degree in Gender Studies, international development or other relevant social science field
- Gender and social inclusion related work experience
- Should be sensitive and well aware of Gender and Social Inclusion issues in Nepal;
- Experience in training/workshops is an asset
- Familiar with the best practices in communication and documentation
- Experience with excel and database programs
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ready to work in village setting of Nepal
- Willing to adapt to a 40-hour work week over 6 days
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: