Position: HerStart International Fellowships
Employer: Youth Challenge International
Location: Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda
Deadline: June 18, 2023
Employment Type: Internship
Position Level: Entry Level
Salary Range: Receive a comprehensive benefits package to travel and collaborate with YCI staff, partners and women entrepreneurs in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
Closing Date: June 18, 2023
Summary: Join YCI’s HerStart program for a professional fellowship, advancing global gender equality, climate action, and social impact. Receive a comprehensive benefits package to travel and collaborate with YCI staff, partners and women entrepreneurs in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
Length of Placements: 3 or 6 months
Start Dates: September 2023 or January 2024
Time Commitment: Full-time
Location: Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda
Application Deadline: June 18th, 2023 for September cohort; October 15th for January cohort (positions are offered on a rolling basis – apply early)
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. For over 30 years we have designed inclusive programs that help overcome gender barriers and support the economic empowerment and community leadership of young women.
About the HerStart Program
YCI’s HerStart Innovate the Future is a 7-year program that works in partnership with dynamic organizations, youth and volunteers to enhance inclusive economic growth and social impact for women and their communities in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda. Our goal is bold: support 10,000 young women with the tools and resources needed to become innovative social entrepreneurs and generate positive social, environmental, and economic impact.
HerStart Fellows gain hands-on professional international development experience, expand their impact-driven networks, and engage in high quality training from subject matter experts in critical topics. Fellows receive a holistic benefits package including round-trip airfare, visas, health insurance, a monthly stipend and much more.
3- and 6-month opportunities starting in 2023 and 2024 include:
• Gender Equality Fellow
• Climate Action Fellow
• Social Entrepreneurship Fellow
• Program & Partnerships Fellow
• Communications Fellow
• Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Fellow
Full requirements and desired qualifications for HerStart Fellows are listed within each position on the HerStart Opportunities page. The key eligibility must-haves for all positions include:
• Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• Fluent or professional level English skills (written and verbal)
• Interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
• Enrolled in or graduated from a post-secondary institution (or equivalent work experience)
• Access to a personal computer for duration of placement
• Ability to commit to full length of placement on a full-time basis, including pre and post training
• Note that individuals from all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply
Why become a HerStart Fellow?
• Gain professional global experience: Engage in a high-quality international volunteer program with YCI – an organization with over 30 years of experience. The Fellowship program includes comprehensive pre-departure training before you go, as well as ongoing health and safety and reintegration support.
• Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners, meaningfully contributing your time to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
• Amplify your personal and professional growth: Participate in unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as effective cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
• Access high quality training and resources: Receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise, and climate action.
• Be part of an international network: Connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.
For more information about the HerStart International Fellowship program, benefits and support package, including the expenses covered by YCI, please review the fellowship FAQ page.
YCI’s HerStart Innovate the Future program is funded through Global Affairs Canada’s Volunteer Cooperation Program, providing skilled Canadians opportunities to volunteer abroad with global partners and advance Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
For more information on the program and all available positions for HerStart Fellowships please visit: yci.org/herstart/fellowships