Position: General Call for Applicants - WAGES Program - Environment Sector
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Location: GHANA , Accra
Deadline: September 30, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: September 30, 2019
GHANA , Accra
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
The West Africa Governance & Economic Sustainability in Extractive Areas (WAGES) is jointly implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC) and the Centre d’étude et de coopération internationale (CECI) in Burkina Faso, Ghana, and Guinea. Working in partnership with communities, local government, mining companies, and other stakeholders, the project will enable communities, particularly women and youth, to maximize the socio-economic benefits from extractive resource investment in West Africa. The project’s principal areas of focus include local governance, sustainable and inclusive economic growth, and regional knowledge-sharing on development of best practices in mining areas. The expected results of the project include: increasing employment opportunities for community members, especially youth and women; ii) strengthening capacity of sub-national governments and local institutions to leverage opportunities arising from natural resource development, especially the extractives sector; and iii) increasing informed dialogue on local economic growth and governance strategies in regions with natural resource development activities, within the three target countries and across West Africa.
CONTEXT FOR THE GENERAL CALL FOR APPLICANTS
We are recruiting professionals with backgrounds in various aspect of environment to work as volunteers. With many sub-sectors and countries, our local partners recognize the importance of the environment and seek to increase their knowledge in this area, in the interest of achieving their objectives.Those with a passion for and professional background in environmental sector, and are interested in living and working internationally are encouraged to submit their application as indicated below.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific roles and responsibilities will be determined by the partner organization(s) and the Uniterra program Country Office Team, and validated by the successful candidate
- University degree or formal education in agriculture, agribusiness, natural resources management, environment, food science/technology
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in agriculture or a related discipline
- Strong cross-cultural skills and high degree of intercultural sensitivity
- Resourcefulness and capacity to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of the agricultural sector in the relevant region is an asset
- Experience living, working and/or travelling internationally is a strong asset
- Experience or knowledge of coaching and mentorship is a strong asset
- Excellent written and oral communication in English, French and/or Spanish, depending on the country of assignment
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.
- Link to apply: http://bit.ly/2MfUXMu
- For inquiries, please contact: email@example.com