Position: Gender Researcher
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: November 25, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: November 25, 2018
City Georgetown, Guyana
Start Date Nov 2018 - Jan 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
The Volunteer’s Role
The Women and Gender Equality Commission (W&GEC), is one of the four commissions appointed by Parliament, for the promotion and enhancement of the fundamental rights and the rule of law established under the Constitution of Guyana. The W&GEC aims to promote national recognition and acceptance that women’s rights are human rights, respect for gender equality and the protection, development and attainment of gender equality.
A significant part of the W&GEC’s role is to provide overall guidance in the development and implementation of gender equality programming. To enhance evidence based programming, the W&GEC is seeking technical assistance to conduct research specifically in the areas of gender based and sexual violence.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Review relevant literature, legislation and other resources, and develop draft research concept and tools, for review and approval.
-Work closely with members of the W&GEC to finalize the research concept and tools.
-Support the W&GEC in recruiting, training, and managing a local research team.
-Work closely with team of researchers to conduct research through strategic engagements with a variety of key stakeholders, including government, traditional leaders, community, youth and women’s groups, local government agencies, faith based groups.
- Utilize appropriate research methodology and analysis to develop and present comprehensive report of research findings, including key findings, best practices, lessons, and recommendations.
-Based on research findings, support dissemination and follow-up actions with key stakeholders.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-Degree in gender studies, social sciences, law, human rights or related field.
Essential Professional Background:
-At least 3 years’ experience working in the field of international development, research or related field.
-Proven successful engagements with diverse types of individuals and organizations.
-Demonstrated experience conducting and analyzing field research, and managing a local research team.
-Ability to conduct evidence-based policy analysis and play an active role in the development of program policy and direction.
-Knowledge of computer and research programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months