Position: Gender Advisor
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: January 15, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: January 15, 2019
Location Mpika or Shiwa Ng'andu, Zambia
Start Date Nov 2018 - Jan 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 10 Months
Language Requirements English
The Volunteer’s Role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Gender Technical Advisor to contribute to a regional nutrition project led by CARE Canada! The Southern Africa Nutrition Initiative (SANI) is working to improve the nutrition of women of reproductive age and children under five years old in Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia. Gender is an integral part of the SANI project, as well as all of CARE’s programming.
As Gender Advisor, you bring strong technical expertise to the SANI team in Zambia, working with colleagues to ensure that gender equality and women’s empowerment is at the centre of all project interventions. This includes working with and supporting staff, partners, and volunteers in understanding gender mainstreaming, and providing guidance to staff to ensure all project interventions are gender sensitive. Your strong collaboration skills ensures that you work closely with CARE Zambia’s Gender Advisor to strengthen and reinforce the SANI Gender Equality Strategy with all key project stakeholders.
You will also lend your excellent facilitation skills to the implementation of CARE’s Social Analysis and Action (SAA) intervention, which works with projects staff and community facilitators to support community-based action dialogues to reflect on and address unequal gender and power dynamics.
Finally, your top-notch communication skills will help the team to document and share the important gender work being implemented through the SANI project to a range of stakeholders.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Support the SANI Zambia team in integrating gender into all aspects of the project and its effective implementation within a “Do No Harm” framework
-Support CARE Zambia’s Gender Advisor to train staff and partners on SANI Zambia Gender Equality Strategy
-Support CARE Zambia’s Gender Advisor with the rollout of Social Analysis & Action (SAA)
-Support the SANI Zambia team to undertake ongoing qualitative monitoring of gender related outcomes
- Support the SANI Zambia team in gender-based analysis of monitoring data
- Support and strengthen the gender work and agenda of the District/Ward Nutrition Coordinating Committees
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in International Development or other related fields
- Studies in feminist theory, gender and health, gender equality, women’s studies, and women’s rights
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience working with gender mainstreaming
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation processes
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months