Position: Financial Management Advisor
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: December 10, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: December 10, 2018
Location Lindi, Tanzania
Start Date Feb - Apr 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English
The Volunteer’s Role
As the Financial Management Advisor, apply your financial expertise to mentor small and medium-size enterprises (SMEs) the Tanzania Local Enterprise Development (T-LED) project supports in Lindi, Tanzania.
The T-LED project supports SMEs to overcome existing barriers to grow their businesses in food production, natural resource products, and other agribusiness value chains. T-LED pays particular attention to the challenges women-led SMEs face by matching them with skilled volunteers with management and entrepreneurial experience to provide guidance. The project also equips SMEs with financial resources via a matching loan initiative and financial mentorship to support SMEs that are ready to expand their operations.
The aim of the Financial Management Advisor role is to work with the T-LED implementing partners – SIDCO, TCCIA, and TWCC - to coach local SMEs in improving their financial management capacity and their ability to access financing, win contracts, budget, and report financially. This will entail direct interaction with various SMEs that are at the inception or early stages of their operations and will benefit from financial insight to reach the next level of growth. By working with T-LED national volunteers, you will be supported in some language and cultural interpretation when fostering relationships with various local SMEs.
You will be well supported by the Lindi team, all eager to collaborate with you to address the financial gaps of knowledge many SMEs currently face.
Come join a dynamic T-LED team!
As a volunteer, you will:
-Train SME staff in simple financial and basic accounting
-Working with SME staff to develop sound financial processes for budgeting and managing expenditure
-Coach and mentor SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff to improve business support services
-Develop tools and training materials with SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff that can be used in their business development services
-Improve capacity of SMEs to win contracts with companies in the extractives and agriculture value chains
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in in Finance or related field
Essential Professional Background:
- 3 – 5 years’ work experience in developing financial management systems
- Ability to formulate and implement financial regulations, policies and procedures
-Good experience in establishing and supporting organization development
- Facilitation and training skills; experience in development and delivering workshops
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months