Position: Directors of Programs and Operations
Employer: Horizons of Friendship
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Deadline: February 25, 2022
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Executive
Salary Range: $70,000 - $80,000
Closing Date: February 25, 2022
Horizons of Friendship is looking for a Director of Programs and Operations to join our team!
Horizons of Friendship (Horizons) is a non-profit international development organization founded in 1973 and based in the town of Cobourg, Ontario. Over 48 years of continuous operation, our focus on Mesoamerica has evolved from providing humanitarian aid to supporting long-term community-based development that addresses poverty at its roots. In Canada, we foster awareness of and engagement with Mesoamerican issues.
In Mesoamerica, our thematically focused projects include the provision of funding and capacity development services to local project implementers. Our strong and enduring partnerships with local peoples’ organizations and grassroots NGOs have enabled sustained impacts at local, provincial, national, and regional levels. To date we’ve implemented nearly 1,400 projects with over 130 organizations in Mesoamerica, including several multi-year programs funded by GAC.
Under the leadership of the Board of Directors, the Director of Programs and Operations is responsible for ensuring the excellence and impact of Horizons’ operations and program through oversight and management of the following areas:
- Strategic vision, leadership and oversight of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors
- Monitoring the management of Horizons’ programs, ensuring compliance with programmatic and financial objectives, ensuring consistent high program quality and measurable impact
- Securing adequate funding and ensuring that donor, grant, and other public funds are used in a legal, effective, efficient and ethical manner in support of the organization’s mandate
- Manage all employee and contractor relationships, consistent with the provisions of applicable legislation, regulations, standards, Board policies, contracts and agreements.
What we offer
- Salary range starting at $70,000 commensurate with skills and experience.
- Benefit program including paid sick and vacation, health, and life insurance and an RRSP matching program.
- International travel opportunities.
- Amazing colleagues who are very committed to Horizons’ mission.
- University degree in international development or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in the International Development sector.
- Management experience, including the areas of international development, fundraising, finance, programs, and human resources.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles in a non-profit and board governed organization.
- Knowledge of Global Affairs Canada requirements and experience working with Results-Based Management project management standards.
- High political acumen and excellent representational skills, including high-level advocacy and communications with government and other officials in Canada and abroad.
- Excellent team building, coalition building and networking and an aptitude for getting high performance from teams and partnerships.
- Well-developed written and oral communications skills in English and Spanish.
- Experience in Central America and Mexico
- Fluency in French
- Full-time position based in Cobourg, Ontario, with the possibility of some remote work
- Travel in Canada and overseas is required
- Available to participate in Horizons functions during evenings and weekends
Interested, qualified candidates are asked to submit a resume to Hiring Committee at:
Deadline to apply is February 25, 2022, until 5:00 pm. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Horizons is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Horizons supports compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and provides recruitment-related accommodations for persons who require accessibility supports upon request.