Position: Director of Finance
Employer: Crossroads International
Location: Toronto or Montreal
Deadline: February 24, 2022
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Senior
Salary Range: $105,943 to $123,459
Closing Date: February 24, 2022
Success as Crossroads International’s Director, Finance includes infusing your passion for equity, inclusion, and gender equality, in the following:
• Providing strategic financial planning, analysis, advice, and leadership to support the Strategic Management Group and Board of Directors in steering the organization,
• Overseeing comprehensive execution of all financial accounting, management, and reporting functions to deliver on our collective vision of ending poverty and fulfilling the rights of women and girls,
• Further strengthening operations through oversight of financial risk management, contract management and IT management, bringing process innovations and efficiencies,
• Leading a high-performance Finance team in Canada and providing guidance to skilful Finance staff in Senegal, Ghana, and Tanzania project offices.
Together we want to advance the mission of Crossroads by building on already strong financial planning, management, and reporting practices to create efficiencies, develop more sophisticated systems, and empower internal and external stakeholders to realize our ONE WORLD vision where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled. Crossroads has grown in the last several years thanks to new larger institutional grants and a new strategic seven-year plan with ambitious goals for programming and revenue growth. Because of your outstanding leadership qualities, your character as a Gender Equality Champion, your abilities in strategic financial planning and oversight, your experience in governance, risk management and people leadership, and your motivation to make a difference, we will together leverage expertise, systems, innovation, and resources to create a just and equitable world.
Strategic Financial Leadership
• Prepare and present financial reports, including budget, forecast and actuals, to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
• Be responsible for the development and updating of Finance policies for Finance Committee and Board of Directors and enforce financial policies across all operations.
• Communicate key strategic financial risks and risk mitigation strategies to Crossroads’ Senior Leaders as well as to the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee.
• Monitor and report on strategic financial and administrative KPIs to the Executive Director.
• Provide guidance in conversations on long-term financial sustainability, including economic dependence, business continuity and reserve planning, to support the fulfillment of the strategic plan.
Financial Accounting and Reporting
• Ensure appropriate accounting and control systems are in place, in accordance with accounting principles, contractual and legal obligations, and internal policies.
• Oversee annual financial audit and funder audits.
• Collaborate with the Program Director to ensure smooth financial operations within Canadian and International programs and advise on key financial matters that drive program impact.
• Ensure timely reporting and accurate reporting to all institutional and private donors.
• Monitor short and long-term cashflow, making decisions to optimize investment income while balancing cashflow needs.
Financial Planning and Analysis
• Lead the annual operating budget process, ensuring that strategic initiatives are funded to support organizational growth, while managing and mitigating financial risks.
• Provide ongoing financial analysis, projections and assessment and make recommendations to ensure efficiency and cost containment.
• Monitor and report on Crossroads’ financial cost-share commitments to projects.
• Oversee budget development for project proposals.
• Support budget holders in their capacity on budget management principles.
Financial Risk and Contract Management
• Be the Risk Owner for Finance, IT and Cybersecurity for the organizational risk register and financial risk policies.
• Approve the financial component of all submissions and reports to funders.
• Review legal contracts for financial and legal compliance.
• Oversee the negotiation and fulfillment of service contracts with suppliers.
• Ensure the appropriate insurance coverages are in place across Crossroads’ global operations.
• Oversee information systems management with support of external suppliers.
• Develop and implement plans for digital transformation in line with organizational strategy.
• Identify and manage risks and liabilities related to IT and cyber security.
• Work with users and Senior Leadership to identify technological challenges, find and implement cost effective and creative solutions.
• Create, maintain, and enforce written policies and procedures regarding IT systems.
• Recruit, train, supervise, coach, support the development of, and evaluate the Finance staff.
• Provide collaborative leadership and guidance to Finance staff in Senegal, Ghana, and Tanzania Africa offices through a culture of inclusion and innovation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ESSENTIAL QUALITIES
• Professional Accounting designation (CPA) or exceptional knowledge of finance gained through equivalent experience
• Five to eight years of directly related experience, including two years’ experience at a management level
• Proven success in the international non-profit sector with knowledge of CRA requirements, and experience with institutional or bilateral donors (Global Affairs Canada) would be a strong asset
• Strong analytical, financial management and budgeting skills
• Experience working in both a strategic and operational capacity to lead/partner on business objectives
• Proven ability to recommend, influence, develop, and implement policies and programs that guide the organization towards efficiency and success
• Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
• Excellent collaboration skills to work within a team across multiple geographic locations, as well as cultural sensitivity
• People leadership skills including coaching, development, and performance management
• High level of competence with technology
• Passion for growth, development, innovation, and creativity
• Initiative, drive for results, and ability to manage competing deadlines effectively
• Adaptability, tolerance to uncertainty and enthusiasm for change
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA and ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS
• Share Crossroads’ values and ethical standards, particularly:
o A commitment to preventing, mitigating and responding to sexual violence,
o A commitment to gender equality, and
o A commitment to anti-racism.
• Work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
• Travel infrequently in Canada as required
Crossroads International is a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for over 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in Africa, with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together we are leveraging knowledge, expertise, and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
Crossroads is committed to principles and values of access and equity. Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Crossroads is also committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct and advancing anti-racism. To that end, the organization is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders' Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct, and the Anti-Racism Framework for Canada's international cooperation sector.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter in one document (Word or pdf) before 5pm on February 24, 2022, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should indicate “Director, Finance – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.