Position: Communications and Research Advisor
Employer: Cuso International
Location: La Paz, Bolivia
Deadline: January 15, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: January 15, 2019
Location La Paz, Bolivia
Start Date Jan - Mar 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish, English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The Centro de Estudios para el Desarrollo Laboural y Agrario (abbrev. CEDLA, Research Centre for Labour and Agrarian Development) is a nationally recognized investigation center that focuses its research on the labour market and employability issues. They work in conjunction with worker’s unions (urban and rural), development organizations, financial partners, and the private and public sectors focused on improving their social responsibility.
We are now looking for you to support CEDLA by generating public awareness through articles, notes, and other publications through different communication channels. Your publications will be based on the information and investigations gathered on employability and labour market issues in Bolivia, as well as the communications department's operations. In this role, you would suggest improvements to better the function, coordination, and communication between the different units and its overall efficiency. You would be also involved in organizing events, workshops and similar events as per the planned agenda.
The volunteer will use research skills, investigation abilities, and systematization of the information obtained by CEDLA, as well as any additional tools needed to complete the necessary tasks.
Start dates can be flexible. However, start dates also depend on the partner organization’s needs.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conduct a periodical investigation and report any updates in the Bolivian Observatory on Employability and Social Security (Observatorio Boliviano de Empleo y Seguridad Social, OBESS). This requires information based research on labour related issues from different sources.
- Diagnose youth employability in Bolivia
- Organize rand facilitate round tables, debates, workshops and other events to discuss the findings, analysis and investigation data on employability and youth.
- Develop and support the coordination of the Platform on Labor Rights, which is led by CEDLA
- Identify information sources held by CEDLA and analyze the data to give appropriate suggestions and recommendations the organization; and ameliorate the functionality of the communications department.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-University Degree in communications, journalism, marketing, social sciences or other relevant area.
Essential Professional Background:
- Solid experience in writing and research.
- Strong investigation capacity using primary and secundary sources.
- Experience in the use of statistics data base
- Good knowledge in communications.
- Strong capacity in organizing events.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation