Position: Communications Advisor
Employer: Uniterra - WUSC and CECI
Deadline: June 10, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: June 10, 2018
DURATION: 12 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic sub-sectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus, please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Launched in March 2017, the Women’s Initiative for Startups and Entrepreneurship (WISE) was created by the Mekong Business Initiative (MBIz). WISE has a wide network of partners who support women's startups and enterprises, ranging from active development partners, incubators, business associations, to service providers in the startup and entrepreneurship ecosystem. Its mission is to foster, connect and support women-owned/led startups and businesses in Vietnam to thrive, with a vision to expand throughout the Mekong region. WISE is running various support programs for women-led startups and enterprises.
In 2018, WISE will need to develop a communications strategy in order to reach more women. WISE is looking for a Communications Adviser to provide capacity building for startups and SMEs in this area.For more information on Wise, please visit www.wisevietnam.org.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the development of a communications strategy and plan for WISE, and for the WISE Women Innovation Challenge;
- Manage the implementation of communications activities for WISE;
- Facilitate communications and branding training events for WISE members;
- Help monitor and evaluate WISE communication outcomes;
- Collaborate with Uniterra volunteers to provide workshops and/or training to other local partners (upon request);
- Prepare and draft reports required by the host organization and the Uniterra Program; and
- Ensure that the communications and outreach tools are not based on stereotypes and are written with nonsexist language.
- University degree in communications, journalism, social sciences, international relations or any other relevant field
- Experience in preparing communications strategies and plans
- Experience in delivering training Good IT skills (e.g. Microsoft package, use of databases, website design, etc.)
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Ability to work in an multicultural environment
- Ability to work independently and in a team
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.