Position: Communication Adviosr
Employer: Uniterra - WUSC and CECI
Deadline: September 30, 2017
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: September 30, 2017
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT: Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
DURATION: 12 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Movimiento de la Economía Solidaria y Comercio Justo en Bolivia (MESyCJ) was established in 2008 as a representative body for the country's producers. It is a network of organizations dedicated to the promotion of the social and solidarity economy in nine departments of Bolivia, in urban and rural regions. MESyCJ's mission is to promote, develop and publicize the social economy and free trade. It is also intended to be a point of reference within the sector at the national and international levels. Solidarity, transparency and mutual respect are among its principles and basic values.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Country Co-ordinator and in collaboration with the Uniterra Program, Partnership and Outreach Unit, the Communications Advisor will contribute to increasing the visibility of the Uniterra program, CECI and WUSC and local country partners.
In country communications:
- Develop and implement a communication strategy and an annual communication plan for the country office, which contributes to the overall Uniterra Program, outreach and communication strategy
- Ensure that strategies for mainstreaming gender equality and youth inclusion are considered in the development and implementation of all communication materials and activities
- Coordinate and implement all the country office communications activities
- Liaise with the Uniterra Program, Partner and Outreach Unit and its focal points for project promotion and communication
- Ensure compliance with graphic standards in the development of all communication material, as outlined by Uniterra, CECI and WUSC communications strategies
- Develop dynamic and effective communication tools for country offices and the Uniterra Program
- Coordinate social network accounts and other platforms for country office and produce and update content ie. success stories, partner and volunteer profiles
- Support the country office team in coordinating and organizing events for the country office
- Support the country office team in media and public relations strategies and implementation
- Facilitate effective internal communication between the country office team and volunteers
- Act as resource person to communication volunteers in partner organizations for the development and management of communication tools
- Organize related communications activities and events for the program ie. organizational meetings, training sessions and workshops with and for local partners, stakeholders
- Conduct evaluation of the communications strategy, plans and activities
In close collaboration with the program outreach team in Canada:
- Produce communication material (local content) for Uniterra outreach team in Canada (articles, blog posts, photos, videos etc)
- Contribute to the volunteer blog, and engage and mentor other Uniterra volunteers to participate in the blog
- Identify success stories, local partners and volunteers to profile via different distribution channels at Uniterra, WUSC and CECI
- As required, support country volunteers in their fundraising activities to achieve their financial minimum contribution expected by the Uniterra program;
- Engage volunteers in communication activities and outreach to ensure that the Canadian public are kept informed on issues of voluntary cooperation and international development;
- As required, provide input to reports required by the Uniterra program
- Identify strategies for mainstreaming gender equality and youth inclusion in all communication materials and activities
- University degree or diploma in communications, public relations or related experience
- Experience and knowledge in organizational communication and the development of strategic communication plans
- Experience in the use of information technology
- Strong knowledge and skills for creating and updating websites on various platforms
- Experience in the use of social media : Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English and French. Proficiency in Spanish.
- Experience in the development and delivery of training
- Excellent teamwork, participatory and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong customer-oriented approach, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- A commitment and understanding of gender equality and social inclusion
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Ability to plan and prioritize work, work independently and within a team and under tight deadlines
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY Visit: