Position: Urban Agriculture Community Development Advisor
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: February 28, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: February 28, 2019
Location Lima, Peru
Start Date Jan - Mar 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 11 Months
Language Requirements English, Spanish
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Cuso International Peru works with local organizations to help reduce poverty by creating sustainable livelihoods and projects as well as, to combat inequality by empowering people and communities. We build trusted partnerships with various local partners, including nongovernmental organizations, governments, social enterprises and cooperatives.
In the field of Urban agriculture (UA), as we defined as; the growing, processing, and distribution of food and other products through plant cultivation and seldom raising livestock within and around cities, Cuso International Peru is working very closely in this area with local partner!
Urban and peri-urban agriculture is remerging worldwide as a strategy to simultaneously address food security and capacity in urban centers, health, environment and income generating issues. The most striking feature of UA, which is different from rural agriculture, is that it is embedded in and it interacts with the urban economic and ecological system in cities.
If you are passionate about Innovation, Community Development work and Urban Agriculture as a way of reducing poverty! Cuso International Peru is the place for you! Come join our team!
As a volunteer, you will be supporting the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the "Feeding Lima from Within" project alongside with our Cuso International team in Peru, volunteers and local farmers and communities (Urban Agriculture Multi-Stakeholder Platform).
As a volunteer, you will:
- Provide coordination support and event planning to actively engage volunteers and members of various partner organizations and local farmer groups
-Encourage teamwork strategies that involves diverse stakeholders to ensure alignment of UA project activities
- Develop and implement tools to monitor the implementation and evaluation of the UA project
- Support the Operations Secretariat of the Urban Agriculture Multi-Stakeholder Platform
- Coordinate the implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) System
- Support the organization of meetings, events and community outreach campaigns
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Degree in Social Science, Sustainable Community Development, International Development or a similar discipline.
Essential Professional Background:
- Bachelor’s in urban agriculture, Community/ International Development, Political Science, and related field.
- 2-5 years of relevant professional experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Key professional expertise in working under pressure, prioritizing tasks and deadlines
- Soft skills: Creativity, sound judgment and Person with creativity, sound judgement and ability to work both independently and in a team
- Soft skills: High level attention to detail