Position: Trading Advisor
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: October 15, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: October 15, 2018
Location Vinzon, Philippines
Start Date Oct - Dec 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6 Months
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The Trading Advisor will support our partner, Camarines Norte Federation of Cooperatives CaNoFeCo in the implementation and operationalization of a trading and marketing center that will benefit families of farmers and small entrepreneurs in Bicol Region. The placement will also support the federation to build its capacity in business management especially in the areas of marketing and social enterprise.
The placement is part of the Volunteers for International Cooperation and Empowerment (VOICE) project in the Philippines that is focused on inclusive sustainable economic growth (ISEG). The goal of the VOICE project is to improve the economic and social well-being of poor and marginalized communities.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Field visits and meetings with member cooperatives particularly the direct project implementors and potential clients of the marketing business
- Review reports/documents and understand the businesses or enterprises of the different member cooperatives, the needs of mass-based organizations or MBOs and the support services they are able to offer.
- Review proposed systems and procedures of the business based on the business plan.
- Support CaNoFeCo and work with management to enhance the business plan, strengthen structures and systems needed to manage the marketing business, facilitate strategy development, undertake coaching and implementation of the marketing or trading business
- Coach and mentor staff who will take the lead in implementation and provide support to the federation
- Assist target member cooperatives who will implement the marketing and trading business
Essential Academic Qualifications:
University degree in business administration or management, finance, marketing
Essential Professional Background:
-3-5 years of experience in business management and marketing
-Strategic planning, financial business planning, development of business management strategies, marketing and promotional strategies
-Systems development especially along marketing and trading business
-Project development and proposal writing
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months