Position: Tourism Development Advisor
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: June 25, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: June 25, 2019
Location Vientiane, Laos
Start Date Jun - Aug 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
As the Tourism Development Advisor, you will support tourism activities at the national and provincial level for the Swisscontact tourism program: Mekong Inclusive Growth and Innovation Program (MIGIP). Cuso International has been closely collaborating with Swiss Contact to implement the programme since February 2017 to help them in areas of Tourism Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Tourism Destination Management & Network Development. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone looking to expand and use their tourism skills.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support National Destination Management Network intervention (Vientiane) and Southern Laos Destination Management Network (Pakse).
- Lead the implementation of selected Lao National Marketing activities - drawn from Lao National Tourism Marketing Strategy.
- Support responsible tourism interventions in MIGIP field sites - Southern Laos and Khammouanne (Hin Nam No National Protected Area). MIGIP will continue activities in Southern Laos until December 2020 and will be engaging with local stakeholders in the Hin Nam No National Protected Area to develop sustainable tourism options (from April 2019).
- Contribute to Cuso International's VOICE project (Volunteers for International Cooperation and Empowerment) broader strategy implementation and identify measures to address gender and inclusion within the placement.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Tourism Management (Although a Degree in Tourism backed up by substantial relevant experience at a senior level would be considered)
Essential Professional Background:
- Work experience in tourism destination management
- Desirable experience in organizational development
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months