Position: Sales and Marketing Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Deadline: November 11, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: November 11, 2018
DURATION: 6 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE: Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Small and Medium Enterprise Development Institute (SMEDI) is a government organization established in 2013 to promote the development and growth of micro, small and medium enterprises in Malawi by coordinating and providing demand-driven business development services and information. SMEDI has partnered with various stakeholders to create an enabling environment, facilitating access to finance, sharing market information and providing entrepreneurship services including financial, credit and business management.
SMEDI supports actors in various sectors, including the Leather Industry Association of Malawi (LIAMA). LIAMA is a small-scale leather manufacturers’ association working to assist youth-lead enterprises to manufacture quality products that are competitive at markets to facilitate a vibrant leather value chain and sub-sector in Malawi.
The Sales and Marketing Advisor volunteer will contribute to Uniterra program objectives by strengthening the capacity of LIAMA staff and youth members to market their businesses and attract potential buyers.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support in evaluating the association’s sales and marketing strategies;
- Support the improvement of marketing efforts and visibility of the network and members by planning and contributing to marketing activities;
- Assist in developing and conducting gender- and age-inclusive training on improved sales techniques including new market development and customer buying behaviour;
- Promote the meaningful participation and representation of women and youth in all activities and program benefits, as appropriate; and
- Write reports required by SMEDI and the Uniterra program.
- Degree or training in business, marketing or a relevant discipline, and/or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of product marketing, sales, trade and policies
- Knowledge of market growth approaches
- Ability to maintain positive relationships with professional contacts
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively across cultures
- Strong analytical thinking and decision-making ability
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: