Position: Project Management and Administration Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Location: Sri Lanka
Deadline: September 22, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: September 22, 2018
DURATION: 12 months
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT: Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
LOCATION: SRI LANKA , Hambantota
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE: Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic sub sectors. For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Hambanthota District Chamber of Commerce (HDCC) key role is to prepare the business community to face challenges by identifying, planning and implementing relevant projects and programmes which will benefit them and the district as a whole. Currently, this means ensuring that the business community is properly prepared to take advantage of the changes that will come to the district as a result of major development projects already underway and planned for the southern region. In recent years, HDCC has been able to go beyond the original concept of a Chamber of Commerce and has led a number of special projects aimed specifically at the overall economic development of the district - particularly by making use of the national and international partnerships that have been built over the year. The HDCC promotes tourism under the name of “deepsouth” in southern Sri lanka www.deepsouth.lk , email@example.com.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support partner organization to develop project proposals after conducting a donor research;
- Support documenting administrative procedures;
- Support budgeting of existing projects of the local organization;
- Train local staff on developing project proposals and on budgeting;
- Visiting/Contacts potential sponsoring partners and discuss/Explain the significant of funding for developed proposals on behalf of the local organization; and
- Provide support with project financial management for ongoing projects/Activities.
- University degree in international management or related field
- Experience developing project proposals
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral)
- Knowledge of MS Office package
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Experience in Finance and Account management is an asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: