Position: Program Coordinator
Employer: Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D)
Deadline: September 30, 2021
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: September 30, 2021
Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D) is the development, relief and refugee sponsorship agency of The Presbyterian Church in Canada. PWS&D responds with partners overseas to help communities overcome poverty, recover from emergency situations and provide new futures for vulnerable people. PWS&D works with church-based development agencies and local organizations seeking to transform their communities by promoting justice, peace and the integrity of creation through programs in the areas of food security, sustainable livelihoods, health, peace and human rights.
Reporting to the Director of PWS&D, the Program Coordinator works as a member of the program team, with direct responsibility for coordinating a portfolio of assigned programs with international partners in program countries as required. PWS&D has partnerships in Africa, South Asia, and in Central America and the Caribbean.
The focus for this portfolio is programs and partnerships in Asia. The Program Coordinator is responsible for working with international partners – churches and locally-based organizations – to ensure the effective planning, coordination and outcome of projects, in accordance with PWS&D’s policies. The Program Coordinator will manage and monitor programs and budgets in coordination and in collaboration with a program team. Programs include those directly funded by PWS&D, co-funded by Global Affairs Canada as well as those involving PWS&D’s membership in the Canadian Foodgrains Bank (CFGB). As such, the Program Coordinator must have a solid understanding of results-based management tools. This position includes regular visits to partners in program countries, when possible and safe to do so. The incumbent is a team player and effective communicator who is dynamic, highly motivated and hardworking with strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Recognized university degree or equivalent in international development or in a related field.
• 3-5 years of relevant experience.
• Work experience managing projects overseas, preferably with locally based organizations.
• Experience in project management processes using the latest results-based management tools.
• Ability to understand and meet Global Affairs Canada requirements for proposal development and reporting.
• Ability to analyze and prepare financial and narrative reports and ability to work with spreadsheets.
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects, positively contributing to enhanced development results.
• Demonstrated excellence in creative, engaging and meaningful written and verbal communication with individuals and groups, including public speaking.
• Proven ability to take initiative and manage high-stress situations.
• Intercultural sensitivity.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to work effectively and produce results on several projects simultaneously
• Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office and ability to learn new technologies.
• Work is based out of the office of The Presbyterian Church in Canada in Toronto.
• You must be able to travel as required, sometimes for extended periods in challenging environments, within Canada and internationally.
• Must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
• Criminal Records Check – Vulnerable Sector
Qualities needed to be effective in The Presbyterian Church in Canada
• Knowledge of and respect for the beliefs, structure, programs and polity of The Presbyterian Church in Canada.
• A relationship builder. Demonstrated excellence in creative, positive and meaningful communication with individuals and groups.
• An effective collaborator who can enrich the work of the team, while taking responsibility for specific deliverables.
Please see below for complete position description.
Image of arrow pointing downPWS&D Program Coordinator – Tasks and Responsibilities
What We Offer:
The Presbyterian Church in Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make a positive impact on people and communities in Canada and around the world. We are committed to fostering a culture that is inspiring, caring and inclusive.
In return for your skills and dedication, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and pension and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can truly make a difference.
Salary figure available upon request.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter with the title “PWS&D Program Coordinator” in the subject line to Colleen McCue, Senior Administrator (cmccue [at] presbyterian [dot] ca).
This posting will remain active until 5 p.m. on September 30, 2021.
The Presbyterian Church in Canada is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We have an Accommodation Policy and accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their needs known to us.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.