Position: Probation And Social Services Trainer
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: January 31, 2019
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: January 31, 2019
Location Georgetown, Guyana
Start Date Jan - Mar 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
The Volunteer’s Role
The Ministry of Social Protection is the main institution mandated to implement laws, policies, programs and initiatives to improve the social well-being of people in Guyana. This is accomplished through poverty alleviation schemes, social safety nets, preventative and care programs and the promotion of decent work conditions. The mission is to contribute to economic and social development by maintaining a stable industrial relations climate, formulating policies and providing integrated employment, training, social and welfare services.
The Ministry is seeking to improve customer service and delivery in the social care and protective services. To this end, the Ministry is seeking to engage the technical assistance of a volunteer to enhance the capacity of staff to deliver quality services to clients.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Host consultations with key personnel and stakeholders to review, assess and document current operating procedures and services.
-Develop action plan to protect, promote and monitor the safety and welfare of service users and clients by holistically assessing individual needs and developing and designing care and intervention plans.
-Develop and facilitate training sessions with key personnel and stakeholders involved in the probation and social care services, in areas such as, counselling, case management, court support, and report writing.
-Work with key personnel and stakeholders to document and establish proper protocols and guidelines to improve delivery of probation and social services to clients.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Graduate degree in Psychology, Counselling, Social Work or related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- 3-5 years’ experience in counseling, probation and social services and training.
- Must possess a proven ability to work autonomously, be highly motivated and conscientious, exhibiting the capacity for independent, responsible professional decision making, whilst contributing to and working as part of a multidisciplinary process.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months