Position: Media Relations Specialist
Location: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, NWT
Deadline: December 31, 2021
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: December 31, 2021
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Communications and Engagement, the Media Relations Specialist is responsible for planning, developing and executing a variety of communications and marketing programs in support of the SUMM project and broader CESO objectives. The Media Relations Specialist will play a key role in the development and implementation of a variety of media relations and communications initiatives. This position is currently remote, due to COVID-19, with the possibility of returning to the office in either Montreal or Toronto. This is a contract position until September 30, 2022.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Play a key role in the development and implementation of the media relations initiatives and overall media strategy.
- Support the Program Development and Learning Team in the creation and implementation of various marketing initiatives in support of the SUMM project, including the development of a series of Learning Products and program tools and reports.
- In collaboration with the Communications team, develop and manage media strategies and plans to enhance awareness, understanding and support for CESO in local and international media through various platforms.
- Support the Communications team in the planning and execution of media relations and PR activities, including developing media relationships, proactive media outreach, preparing spokespeople for media opportunities, selecting appropriate advertising opportunities, writing press releases, and regular media monitoring.
- In collaboration with the Communications team, manages CESO’s online presence, particularly with regard to producing and updating content, including supporting design and rebranding efforts of the website.
- Contribute to the development of CESO’s social media strategy and execution including posting content regularly, monitoring, researching, and interpreting analytics on CESO’s social media sites for reaching and engaging targeted audiences.
- Monitor audience demographics and devise strategies accordingly, using analytics and feedback to drive outreach.
- Support the implementation of CESO’s brand style, voice and best practices for all communications.
- Continually research and identify best practices, trends, new strategies and innovative communications and marketing activities to effectively engage CESO audiences.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- University degree in communications, media relations, marketing or related discipline a strong asset.
- A solid understanding of effective digital marketing techniques and trends, and understanding of the needs of a variety of target audiences.
- Strong media relations expertise, with experience coordinating media relations activities and developing and executing creative communications strategies with measurable results.
- Experience with executing campaigns across a variety of digital and social media channels.
- Strong writing and editing skills with the ability to synthesize complex ideas into succinct messages and digital content.
- Solid understanding of social media metrics and best practices and knowledge of social media paid and organic acquisition; advanced platform knowledge, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
- Proficiency with Google suite of products, web content management systems (CMS); presentation software; email management software.
- Experience with dissemination and monitoring tools & platforms, such as Meltwater.
- Excellent organizational skills to work independently and manage multiple projects and priorities with many moving parts.
- Deadline-oriented, inquisitive, with great follow-up and reporting skills; ability to work on big strategy plans as well as day-to-day tasks.
- Knowledge of international development and not-for-profit/NGO sectors is a strong asset.
- French language skills are an asset .
Please forward your resume and cover letter, along with your salary expectations with Media Relations Specialist (contract) in the subject line to:
Jennifer Rovet, Recruitment Manager
Application deadline: December 31, 2021
CESO is an equal opportunity employer.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.