Position: Marketing Advsior
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Deadline: January 7, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: January 7, 2018
DURATION: 6 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Typhoon Haiyan destroyed shelter and livelihoods in Leyte and Samar Islands in the Philippines at the end of 2013. The Haiyan Reconstruction Project builds on the achievements of the CECI typhoon Haiyan livelihoods response project, on lessons learnt from the livelihoods sector and on the needs identified by the communities, local government, Savings and Credit cooperative and Chamber of commerce. It also aligns with Yolanda Reconstruction Plan of the Government and provincial department plans which highlight Agriculture and fisheries sector as the focus sector for reconstruction and acknowledge the role and importance of actively engaging and providing economic activities to women.
The project will facilitate the development of new and existing micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) led by women groups, targeting the identified economic opportunities in agriculture, livestock, fisheries, processing and other non-farm sectors. This will be accomplished, among others, by supporting Vocational Training centers, Financial Institutions and Business Development Services in adjusting their training modules / products / services to respond to women and young women needs.
The Marketing Advisor will provide technical support to individual and group MSMEs as well as the urban vegetable growers supported by the project. He/she will help ensure sustainability of these micro-enterprises and urban vegetable production groups by working with the project team in designing and implementing appropriate marketing strategies based on the local context.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess the needs of MSMEs and vegetable production groups in the following fields of marketing, development of marketing materials, product packaging, business/product diversification.
- Support the project in implementing activities to strengthen the marketing of products as well as business diversification of MSMEs supported by the project
- Provide analytical and technical support to evaluate and revise project strategies on MSMES and urban agriculture to ensure marketability of products;
- Support the coordination of Trainings and Business Development Services;
- Assist in the development of marketing materials and other collaterals for TUKOD’s partner-MSMEs which include a brochure with, brief background of the organization, Vision, Mission, Core Values, Products, Services and Contact details;
- Assist or conduct the required trainings before seed capital awarding and marketing when necessary.
- In close collaboration with the Gender advisors and the national Monitoring and Evaluation Team, support a rigorous monitoring (gender sensitive) of field activities under his/her responsibility;
- Periodically, support the review of the Performance Measurement Framework (degree of achievement of results)
- Ensure the participation and representation of women and youth in activities and program benefits
- University degree in Business with a strong interest in marketing or other related field;
- At least three years of work experience in the area of marketing;
- Strong technical writing skills (reports, studies, etc.)
- Solid command of English (spoken and written) a requirement.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communications skills;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: