Position: Indigenous Relations Manager
Employer: The Jane Goodall Institute of Canada
Deadline: December 24, 2021
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: December 24, 2021
The Jane Goodall Institute of Canada (JGI) is part of a global conservation organization that supports wildlife protection, environmental education and community-centred conservation in Senegal, Uganda, DR Congo, Tanzania, and Republic of the Congo. In Canada, the Institute is focused on mobilizing movements and youth engagement around the convergence of three crises: climate change, biodiversity loss and environmental inequity, while centering Indigenous perspectives in our work.
Partnerships are at the core of our community building, using an Ethical Space approach to honour Indigenous ways of knowing. JGI has been working with local partners and youth on an initiative called “Uncovering Common Ground” to create space for sharing perspectives on decolonization, breaking down barriers to reconciliation and supporting youth-led actions to address community needs. Throughout the journey, JGI has been applying lessons learned and best practices to be a better ally in collaborating with Indigenous partners.
Objectives: The Indigenous Relations Manager is part of the Programs Team. The main roles for this position include:
• Build relations with Indigenous communities, Nations and Indigenous-led organizations in traditional, formal and informal spaces
• Support JGI Canada to integrate Indigenous perspectives across departments
• Amplify youth and partners in their decolonization and reconciliation work
• Participate in external forums and events related to JGI Canada’s strategic focus on decolonization and reconciliation
• Bridge the work of JGI and Indigenous-led partners through the lens of “Ethical Space”, including conservation through the lens of treaty rights and Indigenous Protected Conservation Areas (IPCA)
• Manage projects as assigned to deliver expected outcomes based on agreements
Please see attached pdf file for details on responsibilities, requirements, and application details.