Position: Horticulture Advisor
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: October 1, 2020
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: October 1, 2020
Location Calabar, Nigeria
Start Date Oct – Nov 2020
Length of Placement 8 Months
Language Requirements English Level 4 - Advanced
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
We need your skills and experience to help with farmers market their goods, reduce post-harvest loses and strengthen the farming operations.
You will work closely with the project team in delivering short-term technical backstopping for improvements on the implementation of ongoing horticulture value chain projects.
You will develop the capacity of extension service providers, community volunteers and local partners/institutions to support the horticulture/agriculture initiatives. You will also provide recommendations to improve crop yield and plant growth and provide training based on identified gaps in the horticultural sector.
Apply for this position and make a difference together!
As a volunteer, you will:
-Provide technical support in setting up and managing up and managing greenhouse farms.
-Provide technical support to farmers on best horticultural practices.
-Contribute to develop innovative solutions and coordinate learning amongst those in horticultural sector.
-Perform research of applicable value chains and market access.
-Support any other tasks to assist refugees in setting up and managing their horticultural businesses.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, agriculture or rural development related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- 2 - 4 years’ experience in Horticulture/Agriculture and/or small-scale farming
- Managerial skills, particularly in activity management, working with groups and teams of professionals, and liaising with government and non-government organizations
- Strong experience in end-market assessment & analysis
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training program and in-country orientation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the pre-departure training course, in-country orientation, and reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.