Position: HerStart E-Fellowships (remote)
Employer: Youth Challenge International
Location: Remote/Virtual (supporting Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda)
Deadline: July 11, 2022
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Entry Level
Salary Range: Daily stipend to help reduce barriers to participation is calculated and received at the end of the placement.
Closing Date: July 11, 2022
Join YCI’s HerStart program for a professional fellowship, remotely advancing global gender equality, climate action and social impact. Collaborate closely with YCI staff, partners, fellows and women entrepreneurs in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda. Want to travel and complete placements in-person? 3 and 6-month International Fellowships are also available!
Length of Placements: 3 months
Start Dates: September 2022 or January 2023
Time Commitment: Full-time: 35 hours/week
Location: Remote/Virtual (supporting Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda programs)
Application Deadline: Extended to July 11th for September cohort; Sunday October 23rd for January cohort
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. For over 30 years we have designed inclusive programs that help overcome gender barriers and support the economic empowerment and community leadership of young women.
About the HerStart Program
YCI’s HerStart Innovate the Future is a 7-year program that in partnership with dynamic organizations, youth and volunteers enhances inclusive economic growth and social impact for women and their communities in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda. Our goal is bold: support 10,000 young women with the tools and resources needed to become innovative social entrepreneurs and generate positive social, environmental and economic impact.
HerStart Fellows gain hands-on professional international development experience, expand their impact-driven networks, and engage in high quality training from subject matter experts in critical topics.
3-month E-Fellowship opportunities starting in September 2022 and January 2023 include:
• Gender Equality E-Fellow
• Climate Action E-Fellow
• Social Entrepreneurship E-Fellow
• Program & Partnerships E-Fellow
• Communications E-Fellow
• Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning E-Fellow
Full requirements and desired qualifications for HerStart Fellows are listed within each position on the HerStart Opportunities page. The key eligibility must-haves for all positions include:
• Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• Fluent or professional level English skills (written and verbal)
• Interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
• Enrolled in or graduated from a post-secondary institution (or have equivalent work experience)
• Access to a personal computer for duration of placement
• Ability to commit to full length of placement on a full-time basis, including pre and post training
• Note that individuals from all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply
Why become a HerStart Fellow?
• Gain professional global experience: Engage in a high-quality international volunteer program with YCI – an organization with over 30 years of experience.
• Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners, meaningfully contributing your time to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
• Amplify your personal and professional growth: Participate in unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as effective cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
• Access high quality training and resources: Receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise and climate action.
• Be part of an international network: Connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.
For more information about the HerStart Fellowship programs, please click here.
Did you know HerStart also offers International Fellowship opportunities based in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda? Learn more and apply here.
YCI’s HerStart Innovate the Future program is funded through Global Affairs Canada’s Volunteer Cooperation Program, providing skilled Canadians opportunities to volunteer abroad with global partners and advance Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
For more information on the program and all available positions for HerStart Fellowships please visit: yci.org/herstart/fellowships