Position: Health Policy Specialist
Employer: Cuso International
Location: Calabar, Nigeria
Deadline: November 15, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: November 15, 2018
Start Date Sep - Nov 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The purpose of this placement is to support the development, review and implementation of a robust Primary Health Care plan.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Review the Primary Health Care Operational Plan.
- Align the operational plan with the State Health Strategic Development Plan
- Support partners to develop organizational capacity.
- Ensure gender mainstreaming and social inclusion are integrated into activities and plans.
-Support the capacity of the organization to implement Cuso International's Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning framework.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in Global Health, Health Management, Social Sciences or relevant degree
- Education, certification, training and / or course work in business administration, project management, monitoring and evaluation and/or strategic planning
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in the development of operational plans and strategies
- Strong writing skills; reports and policy briefs
- Professional and/or volunteer experience or educational background related to gender
- Demonstrated success in partnership engagement
- Strong research and analysis skills
- Experience using monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems in a health care context
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months