Position: Gender Equality & Entrepreneurship Fellowship
Employer: Youth Challenge International
Location: Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda
Deadline: February 6, 2022
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Entry Level
Closing Date: February 6, 2022
Title: HerStart Gender Equality & Entrepreneurship Fellow
Placement Duration: March – September 2022
Time Commitment: Full time
Location: Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda (applicants can specify their preferred location)
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 6, 11:59pm EST
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners, we create market-ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the centre of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
Join the HerStart Innovate the Future team to further advance the inclusivity of the global social entrepreneurship ecosystem. Support YCI and global partners in identifying gendered barriers, designing gender responsive solutions and amplifying women’s strengths. This is an opportunity to apply your knowledge and passion for gender equality in a new and innovative way, while also strengthening your CV with practical research, training and project management experience. In the process, advance your knowledge on women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and community impact globally.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
– Actively engage in learning opportunities on thematic topics including social entrepreneurship, climate action and gender equality
– Support organizational learning of staff and partners on green entrepreneurship and climate-responsive frameworks, programs and policies
– Design and deliver needs-based trainings, reports and resources related to climate resilience and green entrepreneurship for partners, staff and fellows
– Collaborate with key stakeholders to research, develop and test innovative climate-responsive solutions
– Propose recommendations to ensure training programs meet the needs of participants and integrate a climate focus
– Support entrepreneurs to identify viable opportunities in the local economy; provide coaching as needed
– Conduct primary and secondary research on environmental sustainability and climate resilience to inform program activities
– Further build out the HerStart Toolkit and fellowship databases
– Prior knowledge of and experience with climate-focused programs or research
– Experience in facilitating trainings and developing educational resources
– Passion for learning and supporting the knowledge/skill development of others
– Strong communications and project coordination skills with high attention to detail
– Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Slack, Airtable and Mighty Networks)
– Strong organization, teamwork and time management skills
– Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
– Committed to working with others in an equitable and ethical manner
– Ability to effectively collaborate with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
– Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
– Must have fluent or professional level English skills (written and verbal)
– Demonstrate interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
– Enrolled in or graduated from a post-secondary institution (or have equivalent work experience)
– Ability to commit to full length of placement, including pre and post training
– Access to a personal computer for duration of placement
– Note: Individuals from all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply
Benefits of an International Fellowship
– Gain professional global experience: Engage in a high-quality international volunteer program with YCI – an organization with over 30 years of experience. The Fellowship program includes comprehensive pre-departure training before you go, as well as ongoing health and safety and reintegration support.
– Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners, meaningfully contributing your time to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
– Amplify your personal growth: Participate in unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as effective cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
– Access high quality training and resources: Receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise and climate action.
– Be part of an international network: Connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.
For more information about the Fellowship benefits and support package, including the expenses covered by YCI, please review the fellowship FAQ page: yci.org/herstart/faq
YCI’s HerStart Innovate the Future and International Fellowship programs are funded through Global Affairs Canada’s Volunteer Cooperation Program, providing skilled Canadians opportunities to volunteer abroad with global partners and advance Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
For more information on the program and all available positions please visit: yci.org/herstart/fellowships