Position: Fundraising Board Member
Employer: Canada SOS: Students Offering Support
Deadline: April 23, 2023
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Senior
Closing Date: April 23, 2023
Do you believe that education is a critical piece to breaking the cycle of poverty? At SOS, our mission is to build connections among students and lifelong learners of diverse cultures and communities to exchange knowledge, shift perspectives, and ignite changemakers.
We support educational-related programs in Latin America. Currently, all programs are operating in Guatemala but have been present in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Mexico in the past. Funding is from a combination of exam preparation tutorials on campus, government grants, service trips, and private donors. To enable sustainable operations and support growth ambitions SOS is seeking leadership in fundraising strategies.
We are looking for a Board Member to work with Head Office to develop and implement a set of fundraising tactics to attract and secure sustainable commitments from a variety of individual donors and foundations. The Fundraising Board Member will also leverage their own network, along with SOS’ ecosystem, to directly access potential donors. Specifically, this role will deliver the following outcomes:
1. Leverage your own network, as well as SOS’, to identify potential donors whose passion and interests align with SOS’ support of education, particularly for women and girls, who can be converted into sustainable/monthly donors
2. Work with Head Office and other Board Members, and leverage SOS’ existing assets, to develop strategies to target these potential donors
3. Work with Head Office to implement tactics which increase the likelihood of attracting sustainable donations
4. Provide ongoing guidance and support around any fundraising initiatives or ongoing projects
5. By leading the above strategies and tactics, deliver on SOS’ immediate fundraising goals:
• Grow the monthly recurring donor base from $700 to $10,000
• Develop a portfolio of fundraising programs to support growing opportunities in education in Central America
• Fundraise $40,000 in 2023 to support repayment of the Federal CEBA loan which allowed SOS to survive three years of pandemic shutdown of income sources
Desired skills and experiences:
● Experience with and deep knowledge of the not-for-profit sector
● Track record of increasing donor base and donation amounts
● Experience targeting individuals and foundations for fundraising purposes
Commitment: This position is a part-time volunteer role. We anticipate a commitment of approximately 5 hours per month.
How to apply: Please include a copy of your resume and a brief cover letter outlining your fit for the position, to Adam.Hamovitch@gmail.com
To learn more about our story, check out www.studentsofferingsupport.org