Position: English Teacher Trainer
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Location: Sri Lanka
Deadline: August 20, 2017
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: August 20, 2017
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT: Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
MAS Intimates is the largest Division of MAS Holdings, a renowned apparel manufacturer in the Asian region. They engage in apparel manufacturing and is the preferred innovation and launch partner for global lingerie brands. Their vision is ‘To inspire, innovate, create value and respect humanity. Whilst their culture is built upon their corporate values which are humility, passion for excellence, freedom with accountability, trust and mutual respect. The relentless pursuit of innovation in product, service offering and process over three decades has made MAS Intimates a preferred partner of global brands such as Victoria’s Secret, PINK, La Senza, Calvin Klein, Marks & Spencer, Gap, Athleta, Hanes Brands International, Soma, Thinx, H&M, MeUndies and Tchibo.
Learning and development continues to be an important tenet of MAS Intimates, as we make our employees future-ready to take on the globally competitive market in which we operate. For the large, mainly female, shop-floor workforce a key success factor in professional progression, personal achievement and empowerment continues to be the ability to communicate in English. The requirements for ESL within the organization is unique, and a customized, multi-faceted approach would be most effective. Because of the large volumes of participants, it is important to develop a customized syllabus based on these needs.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop basic English language skills (spoken and reading and writing) - ESL basics;
- Conduct a needs analysis to gauge the current level of English of the target group;
- Develop appropriate curriculum to suit different levels (for both spoken and written) and develop lesson plans etc.;
- Pilot test curriculum and deliver pilot sessions to measure effectiveness;
- Train the trainer for effective delivery;
- Promote the accessibility and participation of women and men, especially young women and young men, in all program activities;
- Must be an experienced trainer in the above-mentioned areas;
- Ability to customize and co-develop content to suit business requirements and run multiple programs focusing on several aspects of communications and negotiations;
- Adept at adult learning methodologies and personal learning styles; and
- Strong English Communications skills.
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: