Position: Director, Strategic Partnerships
Employer: Firefighters without Borders
Deadline: December 8, 2023
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Executive
Salary Range: volunteer
Closing Date: December 8, 2023
Volunteer Opportunity – Firefighters without Borders
Board of Directors, Director of Strategic Partnerships
Do you have an extensive network and experience strategically building partnerships in Fire and Emergency Services? Firefighters Without Borders is looking for a savvy leader to join our volunteer Board of Directors to head up the Strategic Partnerships area.
Firefighters Without Borders is a not-for profit registered Charity providing training and support to fire departments in Canada’s remote and northern communities and around the world. We are currently seeking a professional with experience in Strategic Partnerships development to join our Volunteer Board of Directors.
A world where first responders are empowered to save lives.
Our mission is “to protect life, property & the environment in communities around the world by providing professional training, education, resources and support.”
We believe that preventing fire from happening in the first place is a proactive approach for community safety. Some fire departments do not have the resources to deal effectively with any emergency, so a strong public education and fire prevention program is a key program delivered by Firefighters Without Borders. Programs relating to technical rescue and vehicle extrication are also a key component of our program delivery. Programs are delivered by fire personnel who understand that skills transferability leads to strong relationships and confidence for fire departments who are struggling to work safely in varied and sometimes desperate conditions.
To learn more about Firefighters Without Borders, please visit:
Two-year term, with the possibility of a renewal (subject to Board and Member approval).
Willingness to devote an average of 10 hours per month above and beyond monthly Board meetings.
Willingness to serve as Chair of the Strategic Partnerships Committee.
Willingness to participate on other Board Committees.
Board Member Responsibilities:
A Director is fully informed on organizational matters and participates in the Board’s deliberations and decisions in matters of policy, finance, risk management and advocacy. He/she serves in a volunteer capacity without remuneration.
The Director shall be required to:
– Understand the purpose, policies and programs of the organization and actively commit to participate in the affairs of the organization.
– Evaluate and approve, as appropriate, policy and other recommendations made by other Directors on the Board and its committees.
– Attend all board meetings and be prepared to engage in meaningful debate, including reviewing the agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
– Ensure compliance with Board-approved policies.
– Be informed of and strive to meet all applicable legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
– Participate in the development of Firefighter Without Borders’ strategy, organizational plan and annual reviews.
– Approve the annual budget, audit reports and financial statements.
– Serve as Chair of any Board Committee created to deliver on the Director’s specific mandate.
– Participate in other Board Committees as a member.
– Participate in Firefighters Without Borders fundraising and special events.
Specific Responsibilities of the Director of Strategic Partnerships:
– Research and prepare a list of possible strategic partners. Prioritize and make recommendations to the Board for partnerships.
– Build relationships and continued engagement regarding FWB initiatives including equipment manufacturers, fire related professional associations, travel companies etc.
– Network with potential partners to help advance FWB’s overall strategy.
– Lead the development of key partnerships in the support of programs and services.
– Upon Board approval, negotiate the terms of the partnership agreements.
– Develop metrics for measuring success of partnerships and evaluate against those metrics.
– Sit on additional committees to provide insight into potential Strategic Partners, namely the Project, Training and Equipment Committees.
– Serve as Chair, Strategic Partnerships Committee.
– Keep copies of minutes of Committee meetings.
– Create and update Strategic Partnerships’ file on FWB’s Google Drive for all contact information and agreements.
– Such other matters as may be required by the Board from time to time.
A minimum of 5 years of experience in developing and managing strategic partnerships in fire and emergency services. International experience is considered an asset.
Broad base of reputable contacts in fire and emergency services.
Knowledge of and experience in firefighting equipment and training would be an asset.
Demonstrated experience leading a team to successfully deliver on targets.
Previous board experience is considered an asset. Familiarity with board governance of not-for-profit charities preferred.
Post-secondary education in a relevant field.
PMP certification preferred.
Strong computer skills, experience with Google Suite, Microsoft Project is an asset.
Experience working in a volunteer-based not for profit organization.
Passionate about making positive change in the community.
Able to work independently and as part of a team.
Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Willingness to contribute 10-12 hours/per month to contribute to a working Board.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, submit a résumé and cover letter outlining your interest and experience to:
Director and Board Secretary, Chair of the Nominating & Governance Committee
Firefighters Without Borders