Position: Coordinator, Youth & Global Initiatives
Employer: YMCA Canada
Location: Anywhere in Canada – with occasional travel to Toronto
Deadline: July 28, 2023
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Salary Range: $58,000 plus a comprehensive vacation, benefits, and pension package
Closing Date: July 28, 2023
About YMCA Canada
The YMCA is a powerful association of people joined together by a shared passion to foster a sense of belonging for all. In an age of complex social challenges, the YMCA is steadfastly dedicated to building healthy communities by inviting and encouraging Canadians to join in, to give back, and to gain the connections, skills, and confidence they need to thrive.
YMCA Canada is a charity and a national office providing support to 37 YMCA Member Associations. Across Canada, the YMCA is at the heart of communities serving evolving needs and providing vital programs, services, and connections to over 2 million people. Together, we’re unwavering in our dedication to achieving meaningful outcomes that matter to the communities we serve. For more information, please visit www.ymca.ca.
YMCA Canada is seeking a full-time Coordinator, Youth and Global Initiatives to join the National Office team. Reporting to the Manager, Youth and Global Initiatives, the Coordinator, Youth and Global Initiatives will support YMCA Canada to deliver on its strategic commitments to activate diverse youth voice and play a part in delivering on the World YMCA strategy, Vision 2030. The ideal candidate will be passionate about youth voice and global engagement. They will: be able to creatively reach, engage and connect with diverse youth; exhibit strong communication skills with an ability to develop high-quality presentations and materials; demonstrate excellent administration skills with experience coordinating complex logistics for groups and events; and have a strong understanding of how to work in global contexts and prepare individuals and groups for global engagement.
This role allows for flexible work from home arrangements within Canada, with occasional travel to Toronto for meetings.
Essential Functions and Duties
Logistics Coordination & Planning
• Coordinate logistics of Canadian delegation participation in global YMCA events, and support design and delivery of virtual orientation and debrief programs, including preparation of webinars and training materials.
• Contribute to the strengthening and engagement of the YMCA’s national Young Leaders Network through regular communications, planning, scheduling, and facilitation of virtual meetings.
• Function as the staff support to YMCA Canada’s National Young Leaders Advisory Committee, including scheduling of monthly meetings and preparation of agendas; coordinating inter-meeting work on initiatives aligned to annual workplan; and implementing annual recruitment and selection process.
• Coordinate logistics of a global learning experience (international placement or educational program) for the recipient of bi-annual YMCA young leader award, including immigration, accommodation, transportation, insurance, and provision of pre-departure orientation and post-experience debrief and follow-up.
• Support planning of national and global YMCA events and meetings (virtual and in-person).
• Compose internal communications for diverse audiences of youth, mid-management and senior leaders from YMCAs across Canada.
• Support the development of materials to amplify messaging for national and international ‘days’ and ‘weeks’ including social media content, website statements, and resource kits to support local learning and action.
• Prepare youth-friendly external communications for social media and other platforms to showcase existing initiatives and raise awareness of issues relevant to youth in Canada and globally.
• Provide administrative support for global partnerships, including preparation of Partnership Agreements and wire transfers, and tracking and reviewing reporting.
• Manage administration for youth leadership programming and coordinate logistics to ensure smooth delivery of program and positive participant experience.
• Maintain contact lists for groups of staff, volunteers, participants, and partners.
• Support national funding applications for youth and global initiatives, as required.
Youth Leadership and Global Engagement
• Support the implementation of innovative recruitment and engagement strategies to identify youth from across the country for participation in internal and external national youth initiatives including consultations, events, leadership development opportunities, and YMCA Canada advocacy and public policy activities.
• Work collaboratively with YMCA Canada team, Canadian YMCA federation, and other internal and external partners to advance YMCA Canada’s youth and global strategic priorities.
• 3-5 years of experience and/or formal education in one or more of the following areas: youth engagement, positive youth development, international/community development, social sciences, education, or related field.
• A comprehensive understanding of the diversity of lived experiences and issues facing youth across Canada and globally.
• Experience designing and coordinating creative, accessible, inclusive, interactive and engaging youth events, programs and/or trainings online and in-person.
• Strong administrative skills with exceptional attention to detail.
• Experience successfully coordinating logistics for events, programs, and/or international placements.
• Strong initiative, planning and organizational skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including preparation of high-quality communications, presentations, and other materials for a variety of stakeholder audiences.
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with a strong capacity for collaboration and engaging a diverse community of stakeholders.
• Demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression and experience integrating a diversity, equity, and inclusion approach in work.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
• Ability to periodically travel within Canada.
• An ability to communicate in French and/or Spanish is an asset.
• Police records check required.
At YMCA Canada, we believe in a workplace culture of inclusion that is welcoming, respectful and safe for all staff. It is critical to YMCA Canada’s success to eliminate barriers and promote the inclusion of equity groups. Equity groups include but may not be limited to Indigenous persons, racialized people, gender diverse people, 2SLGBTQIA+ people, and people with disabilities.
All interested candidates are invited to forward their resume, along with a covering letter telling us why you would be a great fit for the role, in strict confidence by July 28, 2023 to:
General Manager, National Office, YMCA Canada
(Please indicate the position title and your name in the subject line. Please send your resume and covering letter in one file – PDF or Word.)
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Please be advised that offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of a Police Records Check.