Position: Communications & Training International Fellowship
Employer: Youth Challenge International
Location: Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda
Deadline: February 6, 2022
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Entry Level
Closing Date: February 6, 2022
Title: HerStart Communications & Training Fellow
Placement Duration: March – September 2022
Time Commitment: Full time
Location: Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda (applicants can specify their preferred location)
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 6, 11:59pm EST
About Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners, we create market-ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the centre of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
Contribute to the success of the HerStart Innovate the Future program by flexing your creativity, communications and facilitation skills. Collaborate on the design, marketing and delivery of innovative trainings and communication materials for the HerStart fellows, partners and women entrepreneurs. This is an opportunity to strengthen your CV with practical training, outreach and strategic communications experience. In the process, advance your knowledge on women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and community impact globally.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
– Actively engage in learning opportunities on thematic topics including social entrepreneurship, climate action and gender equality
– Support the team in designing, editing and testing trainings, platforms and resources for the fellowship and social entrepreneurship programs
– Lead the design and facilitation of Fellowship Community of Practice sessions and materials to engage and empower HerStart Fellows across the program
– Support the design and implementation of country and partner specific communications strategies, policies and work plans
– Develop and promote communications materials and success stories, including internal newsletters, social media content and the HerStory Podcast series
– Contribute to the design and implementation of outreach and marketing strategies, primarily targeting local young women
– Assist with the screening and selection of participants for the entrepreneurship training programs
– Provide mentorship to women entrepreneurs in effective marketing and communications tools and strategies, as needed
– Support organizational learning and capacity strengthening with local partners and staff on communications, facilitation and training topics
– Contribute to the development of a high quality HerStart photo library
– Further build out the HerStart Toolkit and fellowship databases
– Experience in designing communications strategies and/or materials
– Experience in organizing and facilitating trainings or events
– Experience or strong interest in podcast production and social media
– Passion for learning, facilitation and supporting the knowledge and skill development of others
– Strong communications and design skills with high attention to detail
– Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Canva, Slack, Airtable and Mighty Networks)
– Strong organization, teamwork and time management skills
– Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
– For Tanzania positions: Interest and willingness to learn basic Swahili
– Committed to working with others in an equitable and ethical manner
– Ability to effectively collaborate with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
– Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
– Must have fluent or professional level English skills (written and verbal)
– Demonstrate interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
– Enrolled in or graduated from a post-secondary institution (or have equivalent work experience)
– Ability to commit to full length of placement, including pre and post training
– Access to a personal computer for duration of placement
– Note: Individuals from all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply
Benefits of an International Fellowship
– Gain professional global experience: Engage in a high-quality international volunteer program with YCI – an organization with over 30 years of experience. The Fellowship program includes comprehensive pre-departure training before you go, as well as ongoing health and safety and reintegration support.
– Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners, meaningfully contributing your time to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
– Amplify your personal growth: Participate in unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as effective cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
– Access high quality training and resources: Receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise and climate action.
– Be part of an international network: Connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.
For more information about the Fellowship benefits and support package, including the expenses covered by YCI, please review the fellowship FAQ page: yci.org/herstart/faq
YCI’s HerStart Innovate the Future and International Fellowship programs are funded through Global Affairs Canada’s Volunteer Cooperation Program, providing skilled Canadians opportunities to volunteer abroad with global partners and advance Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
For more information on the program and all available positions please visit: yci.org/herstart/fellowships