Position: Communication and Information Assistant
Employer: World Renew
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Deadline: June 7, 2022
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Mid Level
Salary Range: 28.38/hr
Closing Date: June 7, 2022
To support the International Disaster Response (IDR) program communication needs by producing professional (brand/organization aligned) visuals, high quality beneficiary stories, case studies, presentations, videos and general content for print, the website and social media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Create written and visual content for internal and external use. This may include SitReps, Infographics, beneficiary stories, case studies, presentations, video snippets
and general content for use by World Renew and partners on websites and social media.
2. Work with the IDR team to develop and carry out an annual communications plan that aligns to needs and strategies of the organization.
3. Work with IDR colleagues on ensuring project specific communication plans are carried out for general publication, reporting to funders and to share with network
4. Join operational calls and team meetings to gather information for written content and support project staff in various aspects of written communication
5. Work collaboratively with World Renew’s CORE team to ensure IDR themes and priorities are communicated to the constituents in a focused and deliberate manner.
6. Work with CORE ( MarComm team) to ensure branding guidelines are followed
7. Network with CORE (MarComm team) to ensure that IDR program news is being updated regularly on the website and social media
8. Coordinate with network and alliance partners (CFGB, ACT Alliance and Integral Alliance) on communications related to IDR programs
9. Source content for CFGB public relations materials as required
10. Participate in CFGB Public Engagement and Resource Working Group conference calls and meetings
11. Meeting the constituency communication objectives of IDR’s annual strategic plan by working closely with CORE for CFGB-related communications (Fall newsletter,
CFGB Sunday, Growing Projects) and IDR content in the annual World Renew Report
12. Liaise with gift processing, constituency relations and marketing teams on IDR’s funding priorities and updated project information
13. Some travel may be required
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
None. May be asked to coordinate with vendors or service providers.
1. Proficient in MS Office Suite, Google Docs, Adobe Creative Suite especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, in order to support effective communications.
2. Strong written and oral communication skills with an understanding of communication norms in the field of international disaster response work
3. Understanding of how to present data in a visual format to make it accessible for the intended audience
4. Strong editing skills and the ability to apply it to material initiated by others in order to create a polished publishable beneficiary story or article
5. Ability and willingness to be flexible with work schedule and workload according to the demands of the work of the team
6. Demonstrated commitment to contribute to and promote a work environment that values diversity, inclusion and equity
7. Committed to working towards gender equality, equity and justice in all aspects of our programming, plans, policies and organizational structure
8. Task oriented skills – demonstrate autonomy, initiative, creativity, and resilience to finish tasks by deadlines
9. Excellent organization skills – demonstrate self-starting, planning and implementation skills, as well as an ability to successfully multitask and prioritize
10. Critical thinking skills – ability to analyze a situation to determine needs, brainstorm possibilities and/or create opportunities, problem solve and/or generate solutions,
develop recommendations, research relevant information to determine current best practice in communications
11. Knowledge of communication and media networks/channels used in the humanitarian industry
12. Membership in a Christian church and agreement with the doctrine of the CRC signified by signing a covenant statement, committed to Christ with a compassionate
heart and a servant attitude
13. Familiarity with the CRC is an asset
Must be proficient in English (both written and oral)
Spanish or French would be an asset.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
1. A bachelor’s degree with strong writing skills is required. A degree in communications, English, journalism or a related field is preferred
2. Coursework or direct experience in print and digital media is an asset.
3. At least 2 years of humanitarian work experience with an NGO, including information management in the first phase of a major emergency response relevant to the cluster. Work experience outside the humanitarian sector which is relevant to this post may be considered as a replacement for humanitarian experience.
4. Communication work experience in a team environment is required.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Please submit a resume, cover letter and a portfolio containing samples of your writing, social media posts, and graphic designs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The incumbent, in this position, may need to travel at least twice a year in North America to attend meetings and possibly once a year internationally.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The incumbent, in this position, will travel at least twice a year in North America to attend meetings and possibly once a year internationally.