Position: CESO Advisor - Communications
Deadline: March 31, 2022
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Senior
Closing Date: March 31, 2022
CESO is an international economic development organization dedicated to reducing poverty and fostering economic growth around the world and in Canada. With a vision of stronger economies for better lives, CESO’s initiatives are aimed towards catalyzing and strengthening sustainable economic growth and social development.
Have you ever wanted to apply your professional skills to make an impact on the lives of others? By volunteering at CESO, you can make a positive difference in Canada and around the world.
Since 1967 CESO has successfully matched volunteers with clients and partners in over 120 countries. Volunteers drive both economic and social change by strengthening the private sector and creating an environment for communities to thrive.
CESO Advisors are highly-skilled professionals who advise, mentor and share strategic and technical expertise with partners and clients through a planned sequence of short-term, strategic assignments. They are Canadian citizens (or permanent residents) who represent a wide range of industries and professional skill sets.
Typically, a minimum of 15 years working experience is required, with at least ten years of experience in the field or with a role that an Advisor is looking to support. In select cases, we work with Advisors with less experience, provided they have the right mix of knowledge and expertise to suit CESO’s partner needs.
CESO currently has a number of volunteer opportunities for a Communications Advisor in both English and French speaking countries. At the moment all assignments are virtual but will return to in-country when travel advisories are lifted.
- Develop an internal and external communications plan
- Provide training in communication skills that include the following:
1. Listening, speaking and interacting skills
2. Influencing, negotiation and facilitation skills
3. Conflict resolution and assertiveness skills
4. Report writing, business and technical writing skills
5. Public speaking and effective presentation skills
- Effective communications skills
- Experience working on communication strategies
- Ability to train in a virtual environment
- Knowledge and comfort level using different meeting platforms
- Advisors must be a resident or citizen of Canada, under the age of 79. New Advisors must be under the age of 78 at the point of application.
- Advisors must be covered under a Canadian provincial health program
- Advisors must be native or fully professional in either English or French
CHARACTERISTICS OF A CESO ADVISOR
1. Provide their services to the best of their abilities and accept only those assignments that they know they are competent to perform, being forthright in making clear to clients any limits of their experience, capacity and knowledge in the area concerned or any interests which could have an impact on the performance of the assignment;
2. Act with honesty, integrity and respect for others, including but not limited to partners, clients, fellow advisors, agency and CESO staff;
3. Act in an appropriate and professional manner that upholds, and in no way adversely impacts, CESO’s reputation or brand;
4. Comply with all of CESO’s policies, procedures and protocols, including PSEA principles, and remain in good status regarding CESO’s Advisor eligibility criteria;
5. Safeguard confidential and proprietary information received as a result of providing Advisory services;
6. Not communicate directly with the media on behalf of CESO, unless permission has been given by the Senior Manager, Communications.
7. Remain sensitive to cultural differences; seeking guidance when unclear on how to act with sensitivity;
8. Not engage in any behaviors that are, or could be construed as, unprofessional, unethical or illegal;
9. Report to CESO staff immediately if made aware of anything which goes against CESO’s policies while on assignment;
10. Accept no money, gratuitous or in-kind payment procured on assignment for any advisory or similar service;
11. Report to CESO staff immediately if a client or partner proposes paid work, before, during or after a CESO assignment.
If you are interested in joining a vibrant community and becoming a CESO Advisor, please visit our website at www.ceso-saco.com/volunteer and click on APPLY NOW or contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com for more information.