Position: Business Development Advisor
Employer: Uniterra - WUSC and CECI
Deadline: September 17, 2017
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: September 17, 2017
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT: Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
DURATION: 12 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC) and the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
National Youth Council of Malawi (NYCOM) is a statutory corporation, established through the National Youth Council Act of Parliament in Malawi. NYCOM was a result of the government's realization of the need for a more focused coordination of youth development programs, which was deficient in the country's development plans. This is the key institution working to ensure the effective implementation, coordination and evaluation of various youth development programs in Malawi.
The Business Development Advisor will work with NYCOM partners to explore possible business ventures, and building capacity of the youth in carrying out business leads, intelligence, and developing business and market plans that enhance entrepreneurship skills and morale of youth.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build capacity of youth member organizations to identify new business leads, seize opportunities, and develop business proposals;
- Strengthen the capacity of youth member organizations to develop business and marketing plans;
- Build capacity of the youth member organizations to conduct research and analysis on business development issues, and research business and positioning information;
- Ensure the participation and representation of women and youth in all activities of and all program benefits;
- Write reports required by NYCOM and the Uniterra program.
- Degree in in Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, Marketing or relevant discipline;
- Strong interpersonal, writing and communication skills in English;
- Resourcefulness, innovation and adaptability.
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: