Position: Agro Enterprise Development Advisor
Employer: Uniterra - WUSC and CECI program
Deadline: September 30, 2017
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: September 30, 2017
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
DURATION: 12 months
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus, please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Nepal Agriculture Cooperative Central Federation Ltd. (NACCFL) is the umbrella organization of four hundred and fifty Small Farmer Agro Cooperative Limited (SFACL) and similar agriculture cooperatives spread over fifty six Districts of Nepal. Small Farmer Agro Cooperatives Limited are agricultural microfinance cooperatives which are fully owned and managed by the local community. They have their origin in the Small Farmers Development Program which was implemented by the Agricultural Development Bank Ltd. in 1975.
Their vision is to emerge as the leading federation for the sustainable development of community-owned, small farmers’ cooperatives and other cooperatives in order to reduce existing poverty. The role of Nepal Agriculture Cooperative Central Federation Ltd is to strengthen the institutional capacities of member organizations to provide services to small farmers to improve their socio-economic conditions. NACCFL provides non-financial services such as training and technical support in enterprise development, market linkages and agriculture technology. It promotes networking among member organizations and conducts lobbying and policy advocacy activities.
NACCFL is working with large group of agriculture cooperative members and supporting in various activities through advocacy, trainings, technical support in enterprise development, market linkages, lobbying and agriculture technology.
Several districts where NACCFL is working are highly affected by the earthquake in April, 2015. 145,000 livestock belonging to NACCFL member died and many more were injured when the cow/buffalo sheds collapsed during the quake and its aftershocks. There is huge demand from surviving farmers on income generating activities.
Since NACCFL is providing non-financial support and its members are trying to grow from a farmer to an entrepreneur, it is very important in the post-earthquake context, that the members get the skill and knowledge on enterprise development. With the devastation created by earthquake there are also several opportunities created to start the enterprise.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct market research in the post-earthquake context;
- Support SFACL to link with national and international markets;
- Develop the capacity of local resource persons on enterprise development;
- Support in preparing different guidelines and manuals for enterprise development;
- Develop and facilitate workshops;
- Include the participation of women and men in all activities.
- University Degree in Agriculture, Enterprise Development or any other related field;
- Work experience in agro enterprise development;
- Knowledgeable on agriculture cooperative concept;
- Skills on operational plans and manual preparation;
- Proven experience in communicating effectively both in spoken and written English;
- Capacity to adapt to a very different context and culture;
- Willingness to learn and share new things;
- Excellent team player;
- Willing to visit the field in remote areas with very basic facilities;
- Empathy to Nepali people that were affected by earthquake;
- Ensure equal participation of men and women;
- Willing to adapt to a 40-hour work week over 6 days.
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
TO APPLY VISIT: